Setting Eggs Sept. 24th-Oct. 4th-Last Hatch of the Year. Anyone care to join me?

Well I just went to take my other little paint broody out for a stretch and a poop and she has freshly hatched chicks under her...I didn't get a good look as I quickly put her back down...she has 4 eggs under her...yay! More chicks...

I have had a terrible week. I was babysitting Picanin's (Nikki)eggs while she was out of town and hers started hatching on day 19. Then a second set went into lockdown on Monday. Well her first 4 started dieing 1 by 1 then it went through my 4 Catdance silkies (only have 1 left now) and I lost all 3 of my Heritage RIR chicks. They were all perfectly fine and then they started dropping like flies. They were not in the same brooder. I have 2 sets of older chicks (4 weeks and 8 weeks) in the room also and all of them are fine. What ever it was just went through all the week old or less chicks. Nikki's second batch of chicks started hatching and my serama's started hatching on Tuesday and I wouldn't take them out of the hatchers because I was so afraid they would die too. Nikki picked up her bators last night and I went through that room and scrubbed and disinfected everything. Put my serama's and lone Silkie chick in my brooder and am keeping my fingers crossed. Today I just spent the day recovering from it all and hopefully tomorrow I will post some pics of my new babies.

Well I just went to take my other little paint broody out for a stretch and a poop and she has freshly hatched chicks under her...I didn't get a good look as I quickly put her back down...she has 4 eggs under her...yay! More chicks...
ya.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif

[COLOR=333333]I have had a terrible week. I was babysitting Picanin's (Nikki)eggs while she was out of town and hers started hatching on day 19. Then a second set went into lockdown on Monday. Well her first 4 started dieing 1 by 1 then it went through my 4 Catdance silkies (only have 1 left now) and I lost all 3 of my Heritage RIR chicks. They were all perfectly fine and then they started dropping like flies. They were not in the same brooder. I have 2 sets of older chicks (4 weeks and 8 weeks) in the room also and all of them are fine. What ever it was just went through all the week old or less chicks. Nikki's second batch of chicks started hatching and my serama's started hatching on Tuesday and I wouldn't take them out of the hatchers because I was so afraid they would die too. Nikki picked up her bators last night and I went through that room and scrubbed and disinfected everything. Put my serama's and lone Silkie chick in my brooder and am keeping my fingers crossed. Today I just spent the day recovering from it all and hopefully tomorrow I will post some pics of my new babies.[/COLOR]

Oh no I am soooo sorry to hear what you have been going through. I was reading in shock...what could have done this to the new chicks? I don't get it? That would be horrible...I'm so sorry and hope the remaining chicks are doing ok...

Oh no I am soooo sorry to hear what you have been going through. I was reading in shock...what could have done this to the new chicks? I don't get it? That would be horrible...I'm so sorry and hope the remaining chicks are doing ok...
It was horrible. They were all eating, drinking and pooping fine. They they would just become very lethargic and towards the end there was labored breathing. One even developed wryneck so I wonder if it was something neurological. Nikki and I think it may have had something to do with the medication in the feed. Maybe my bag had too much for their small bodies.

Oh sh** don't say that..it has always been my nightmare...I feed my chickens organic but have struggled with having to feed my chicks medicated to give them some defense against???? I don't really know what but people all say...medicated or they will get Mereks ect...

BUT...I have feed my chicks under the broody with organic grower and they were fine...and my chicks in the brooder with medicated and they had some problems with poopy butt and i had to check them daily and cut their fluff off ect....

but then I also gave the chicks with the momma the option of some medicated feed and now they have poopy butt and I have had to check them and cut the dried poop off their butts as well.

Drives me nuts...

I don't like it! So I have taken it all away...

[COLOR=333333]I have had a terrible week. I was babysitting Picanin's (Nikki)eggs while she was out of town and hers started hatching on day 19. Then a second set went into lockdown on Monday. Well her first 4 started dieing 1 by 1 then it went through my 4 Catdance silkies (only have 1 left now) and I lost all 3 of my Heritage RIR chicks. They were all perfectly fine and then they started dropping like flies. They were not in the same brooder. I have 2 sets of older chicks (4 weeks and 8 weeks) in the room also and all of them are fine. What ever it was just went through all the week old or less chicks. Nikki's second batch of chicks started hatching and my serama's started hatching on Tuesday and I wouldn't take them out of the hatchers because I was so afraid they would die too. Nikki picked up her bators last night and I went through that room and scrubbed and disinfected everything. Put my serama's and lone Silkie chick in my brooder and am keeping my fingers crossed. Today I just spent the day recovering from it all and hopefully tomorrow I will post some pics of my new babies.[/COLOR]

Hey you!!!! Hope you got some sleep last night. Bantams all doing well and I have barnyard mutts hatching like wild fire!!!!!! 7 out, one half out, and several pipped. I REALLY don't like Turkens but rescued 2 Turkens earlier on in the year. I did not think that my beautiful Production Roo was giving them even the time of day - LOL - but what would I know???!!!! Three little Turken chicks in my bator prove otherwise - LOL!!!!!

Last edited:
Hey you!!!! Hope you got some sleep last night. Bantams all doing well and I have barnyard mutts hatching like wild fire!!!!!! 7 out, one half out, and several pipped. I REALLY don't like Turkens but rescued 2 Turkens earlier on in the year. I did not think that my beautiful Production Roo was giving them even the time of day - LOL - but what would I know???!!!! Three little Turken chicks in my bator prove otherwise - LOL!!!!!

I didn't even realize that they were that close to hatching!!!

Back
Top Bottom