setting eggs today, anyone want to join me??

Quote:
On day 5 you should start to be able to see the dark dot floating around in the egg and some veining around the egg. You should also see the air pocket forming on the rounded side of the egg. The stuff inside the egg should be moving around as you move the egg not acting like it's stuck to the shell at all. If you see a dark ring around the middle of the egg that doesn't move then that is a blood ring and it means that it has stopped developing.

Hope this helps.

I saw a blood line in middle of the egg in question. It just looks like 1 vein that is on 1 side of the egg but doesn't go clear around but it moves around. So prob no good.
sad.png

Last edited:
Quote:
That sounds like regular veining to me I have some veins that go around. Blood ring won't move it will stay attached to the egg like a blood clot.

Quote:
That sounds like regular veining to me I have some veins that go around. Blood ring won't move it will stay attached to the egg like a blood clot.

It does move along with stuff inside so maybe when I check it again it will show something else. Crossin my fingers.

Day 12 now and I just got done candling. The 4 EE eggs look fantastic. Red also had 7 BCM eggs that I hadn't been able to see a thing through on day 5. Tonight, one of them was an obvious dud so I tossed it. 5 of the BCM eggs looked great with big dark shadows and I could actually see the veining some!

The last BCM egg was a little different. It had a dark spot in it, but it wasn't as dark or as big as the shadow in the 5 good ones. I pitched it too. When I came back inside and looked at some candling photos it looked almost like a 10 day egg, not a 12 day egg. I hope I didn't get rid of a viable egg, but the other eggs will probably be better off for the extra space.

I set the eggs last night with my broody's. I won the Lavender Orpingtons on the BYC aution. I am so excited and very nervous, never done this before. Does anyone have any pointers for success?
ya.gif
:
wee.gif
:
fl.gif

Last edited:
I think we're the blind leading the blind here. This is my 2nd broody and the others eggs were all duds. I had to go buy her baby chicks at 22 days. And then only 1/3 of them survived.

I bought Red some hatching eggs and tossed the eggs she'd been sitting on - apparently my rooster shoots blanks.

Poor Red has been sitting for about 23 days now. She has about 8 to go. Hang in there, Red!

This is my first time at hatching too so I'm a newbie. But I found lots of good info on BYC.
I had to look for another bad egg that smelled so I candled again last night and I can see my ducky babies moving around. I had to throw out another 3 eggs but the other 26 have moving duckies.
ya.gif
I am so excited and can't wait to see how many hatch. At least my incubator smells better now.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom