Setting eggs today? HELP???

daniellenoel

Songster
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
Vail Colorado
Okay, I am new to this... I am planning on setting 18 eggs this afternoon... we have a Brinsea Octagon Advance.
Incubator is running well. 99.6- 99.7 and 45% humidity.
Eggs have been at room temperature since yesterday. If I put them in this afternoon around 3:00/3:30 pm..
Does today count as day 1?
When would lock down be? If today is March 8th, do I count 19 days from today?
Please help?
Also, tem seems to be staying 99.6 but sometimes is up to 99.7 is this okay?

Any and all help would be appreciated, we are doing this a a 2nd grade class porject....
Thanks

Good questions!

Your temps are fine - they can be as high as 102 w/o issue & short spikes up or down are normal & nothing to worry about.

If you set today @ 3:30 then tomorrow @ 3:30 day 1 can be checked off. So if you count today as 1 then day 19 will be your lock down.

Good Luck!

Great thanks
So would I do lockdown around the same time 3:30 that Saturday 26th?
One more question,
lockdown temp needs to be at what? Does it need to be lowered?
HUmidity needs to be up at 65% or higher?

Thanks so much.

Also, I should not candle until next week right?

Lock down doesn't need to be the same time, but around day 18. A day early or a day late wont really matter.

Temp stays the same for lock down.

Humidity must come way up - 65 to 70% if you can get it.

Once the first egg pips (pokes the first hole) dont open the incubator again until they have all hatched & dried out, or until all that have pipped have hatched & dried out.

Opening the incubator during this critical time causes a sudden drop in humidity that will cause the egg membrane to shrink suddenly & trap the chick inside the shell. We call it shrink wrapping.

If you need to open the bator for some reason (it happens all the time) try to add a quick shot of humidity with a spray bottle of warm water or by adding some steamy water to the tray.

Great thanks so much
Actually the eggs are coming from the farmer today she said they have been at room temperature since this morning. ( I thought since yesterday)
Are they still fine to put in the incububator this afternoon?
You are a wealth of knowledge

If you set the eggs on Tuesday, March 8th, lockdown is on Saturday March 26. Hatch will be on Tuesday March 29.

See my post on this thread to see how to count the days and for some info on the hatch.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=319371

I agree you don't have to be absolutely dead on with the timing for lockdown, but I do think it is good practice to try to get it right.

I'd set the eggs this afternoon or tomorrow morning. Either one should be fine. The main purpose of room temperature is so cold eggs don't sweat when they are put in the incubator. If water forms on the porous egg shell, it can soak in through the shell and maybe carry bacterial with it. It is not a huge risk, but we take what precautions we can.

Personally, I'd lean toward tomorrow so you are aiming at the middle of the school week, but if you have already done it, no big deal. The hatch can be up to two days early or late if your average incubation temperature is off a bit. Unless you have calibrated your thermometer (which you may have) you don't really know how close to the correct temperature you are. Your temperatures look great if they are correct. I'd keep lockdown the same, after 18 days of development, but don't be surprised if the hatch is just a bit early.

Last edited:
Quote:
Good question - Fertile eggs can sit for over a week and still hatch just fine. most say beyond day 7 and the hatch rate starts to decline. In the natural setting the hen will lay 1 egg per day until she gets a clutch gathered & then sit on them all & stop laying. The first egg layed will wait until she decides to sit before developing & they all hatch on the same day. Its really pretty cool if you think about it.

In any case - if you get your eggs today - you can set tomorrow or even the next day etc.

It is always a good practice to keep your day charts & start lock down on time. That will maximize your potential for a good result. But its not rocket science & some variation won't hurt.

Back
Top Bottom