Setting Feb 16, want to join in>Hatch-Along

Yes they started early on day 20. Today is day 21 and I did not set them until 8 pm.

Number 4 is out
love.gif

Last edited:
For the future, I don't perform an eggtopsy on a late term egg that way. What I do is I start at the aircell and slowly peel the white membrane away until I can see the inner membrane. Then you can check for movement just in case, and if there is, the membrane hasn't been breached and the chick can be saved by putting it upright in a cup with a moist paper towel covering it. It's more time consuming and hands on, but it allows you to catch chicks that are still alive.

Thank you for the advice I will be MUCH more careful in the future! I wouldn't have done it if I wasn't sure that it wasn't very developed. Many of my Maran eggs didn't develop at all and it was hard to see in them when candling so I really thought it was just another one that hadn't developed or had stopped at day 12 like my orpington. Either way I will keep my hands off them from now on!

No day 19 is not too soon. It takes FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOREVER! Its like watching plants grow. We just had a paint silkie and a white hatch. The white was pipped at 7 am yesterday morning and just hatched now!

Last edited:
I can't wait to see everyone's pictures! Hurry up!!
smile.png
caf.gif
pop.gif
Me too! c'mon early birds show us the pictures!

I saw some rocking this morning, no pips yet.
Took the cat litter box out of the room so I could close it up. Had a realization that my younger cat would not be able to resist peeping, rolling eggs, let alone new chicks.
My brooder is a huge plastic tub with a fitted lid that locks down, and has a wire mesh in the center. Rigging up the light today.

Susan - day 19 (I thought yesterday was day 19, time is moving so slowly I can't even count the days on a calendar!)

I made a mistake today. I checked the eggs before I locked them down and I took one out that was kinda sloshing around and hadn't moved the last 2 times I had checked it and plus it had a clear spot on the opposite end of the air cell and on the side. Well my son knocked it off the counter and it was a fully formed chick, kicking and trying to breathe. Poor thing was really small and it's intestines were hanging out. Traumatic. I don't know if I can handle hatching anymore. Not to mention I've had a neighbor's dog that's killed my rooster, a hen and yesterday it killed my first duck that I had since it was a day old.

Back
Top Bottom