Setting Feb 16, want to join in>Hatch-Along

Aftetr 7 hours i got the porcelain silkie out! Her yolk sac was completely absorbed, i think she just ran out of energy. My hatch is offically over. Whew im tired. I set 24 silkies, 12 clears, 1 blood ring. 11 went to lockdown. 1 died after pipping. I have 3 buff, 1 paint, 1 porcelain , 1 partridge, 2 splash and 2 white! So happy
smile.png

And we are happy for you!!! It's great to have someone set the lead! Hopefully my chicks will start the chicken dance on Friday or thereabouts. I can't even imagine the patience that you have shown in trying to help out the little silkie. You are a great person!
'

I think Sally Sunshine's guide is a very good one for advice on whether to assist or not. I'm all for letting them do it themselves, but when it comes to artificial incubation there are so many factors that come into play that sometimes they just need help.

Can't wait for fluffy baby pics!

Well, my humidity was dropping so I just took the incubator into my (very) steamy bathroom...and my water trays are already nearly dried up! So I filled them again, rigged up my sponge, and put some airline tubing into one of the water trays so I could at least fill it. I also managed to candle everyone quickly and they are all still alive, but no internal pips yet. Looks like they won't be coming early after all! Now I can relax :p

I got it pretty wet in there trying to be fast, so the humidity is pretty high right now. I'll have to baby it until it dries out a bit.

Aftetr 7 hours i got the porcelain silkie out! Her yolk sac was completely absorbed, i think she just ran out of energy. My hatch is offically over. Whew im tired. I set 24 silkies, 12 clears, 1 blood ring. 11 went to lockdown. 1 died after pipping. I have 3 buff, 1 paint, 1 porcelain , 1 partridge, 2 splash and 2 white! So happy
smile.png
Amazing! Great job!

Yesterday morning I had my first pip. By midnight it was 1/2 zipped. This morning when I looked in the bator I had a cute wet blue orp flopping around...but from a different egg. The first was still the same. I could see a toe moving and chirping but no further zipping. I know I broke rules but it was 22 hours and I couldn't bear any more. I removed it from the bator and saw that the zipping was kind of hit and miss. I put it in the bathroom sink and carefully chipped away. It's poor wing was dried to its face. Warm moist compress corrected the worst of it and its now back in the bator kicking up a storm. I hope I didn't make things worse. I've kept my humidity above 75% so I don't understand:(

Last edited:
That's so exciting!!! I have been staring down my eggs all morning. Nothing!!! I have to work all day tomorrow I am really hoping I get to see SOMETHING happen today, even if it is day 20. There is a lot of today left though I suppose...
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom