Setting Feb 16, want to join in>Hatch-Along

Here's what I rigged up for my incubator when my humidity wouldn't stay up (my house is super dry!):

I just ripped a paper towel in half, twisted it up and poked it through the air hole! Whenever my humidity drops I just put a drop or two of water on it and it wicks down and increases the humidity by a few degrees instantly. The paper towel increases the surface area for the water and makes it easier to increase the humidity quickly. It's been holding it really well too! I'm sure I could have just closed the vent but I was afraid there wouldn't be enough air flow to the eggs. I think this would work just as well in a styrofoam incubator. These are the things you resort to when you are waiting for your eggs to hatch! I rigged that up yesterday and so far today I have gone to the gym, showered, played with my frizzles, cleaned their cage, exercised my dogs, cleaned my kitchen, made cookies and started knitting a chicken sweater! Hurry up chicks!!

So, I'm stuck and really don't know what to do. I had one chick that couldn't zip, so I ended up having to help him out he was stuck to the shell (humidity was over 60% at almost all times) the first two pipped and hatched beautifully. This little guy has curled feet and I put shoes on him but he can't get his feet under him no matter what I do :( I've been making him drink water, but all he does is sit there and peep. I have him in with my quail that hatched today because the other chicks pick on him. Do I need to cull him or wait a day or two>? I'm so sad about this.

question? ?
I have 3 eggs that occasional move if i make loud a noise. 5 that don't respond.
One egg that was moving a lot yesterday is not moving today at all.
Should i candle or check them or what?
Day 21 was yesterday.

So, I'm stuck and really don't know what to do. I had one chick that couldn't zip, so I ended up having to help him out he was stuck to the shell (humidity was over 60% at almost all times) the first two pipped and hatched beautifully. This little guy has curled feet and I put shoes on him but he can't get his feet under him no matter what I do :( I've been making him drink water, but all he does is sit there and peep. I have him in with my quail that hatched today because the other chicks pick on him. Do I need to cull him or wait a day or two>? I'm so sad about this.
I wish I knew what to tell you!
Susan

oh how fun, fuzzy butts! sorry I don't have any advice on the baby with curled toes or the late hatchers. But on the late ones, has your bator run cool at any time? Do you trust that your thermometer is accurate? Maybe they are just late to the party and will show up soon. I'm getting antsy tho, Sat is day 21 for 10 of mine.

Back
Top Bottom