Setting Fertile Eggs Under Broody Due to Hatch November, Come Join Me!!!

Hey, can I join? Put some OEs under my broody (who refused to break) on October 23rd, I put 9 under her, at least 4 of those had been soaking in water, so I marked them and am curious if they'll hatch. I felt like 9 was too many for her to keep warm, but lucky me, her bestie, a hatchmate Silkie was soon brooding next to her. So I divided the eggs ans am letting them both sit.
My guess is, it's a tad bit warmer in Australia right now.
Is anyone candling? I haven't especially since I don't believe I'll be able to see through the green egg, also because it's been in the 30s and I don't want to chill the eggs.

of course you can join, great to have you board. Good luck with those fertile eggs i hope they hatch. My broody also refused to break, stubborn girl. I'm in Australia as well, where are you situated , where i am the weather is wonderful with long days (doesn't get dark till 7:00-7:30).

somad.gif
hit.gif
, I'm pretty annoyed/sad at the moment, i went down this morning to check on my broody and only found 8 eggs under her when i originally had 11??? The only thing i can think of is one of the other hens has gone in there and broken some and then the broody and the other hen have eaten them, my hens love eggs, but they dont peck them open on purpose. So now I've put her into lock down by closing of the whole nesting area with some water and food, so none of the other hens can get in, they will just have to lay in the buckets of straw i have left out for them.

My hen pushed out one of the ten eggs she's on. It was cold so I candled it and i saw no movement but when I opened it I saw a small embryo and the legs were slowly moving around! I feel kinda bad now but she must have pushed it out because she has too little space to incubate 10 eggs! I hope she doesn't push out any more!

Oh cluckcluckluke that's not good.... but I think you have done the right thing by evicting the other hens and making them lay elsewhere! I lost 2 of my eggs... I originally put 6 under mine and she is down to 4. Since she has been locked up there has been no more egg thievery!

My second broody is a big fat pekin X and she is on about 17 or so eggs? (and covers them all easily!) She is way away from the other chickens..... on my front verandah actually!

Blarneyeggs - I haven't candled any of mine that are under broodys. I figure that I'll let nature take its course and just hope! I don't like the idea of stressing the mumma out or getting pecked! haha! It is warmer over here.... but I'm down south of Aus which is a fair bit cooler than what it is up North. We have still been getting cold days and rain!

So now I have 2 broodys!

Broody 1: Due to hatch on 10th of November
Broody 2: Due to hatch on 21st November 2012

When is everyone else due to hatch?

I got 2 to hatch out of my incubator. Something must have gone seriously wrong for all the others to fail. Luckily my new bator is on the way! The last chick I had to assist.... and it had curled toes so it is wearing booties now. I wouldn't have assisted it normally but I didn't want the first chick who hatched to get lonely and be by itself!

Oh cluckcluckluke that's not good.... but I think you have done the right thing by evicting the other hens and making them lay elsewhere! I lost 2 of my eggs... I originally put 6 under mine and she is down to 4. Since she has been locked up there has been no more egg thievery!

My second broody is a big fat pekin X and she is on about 17 or so eggs? (and covers them all easily!) She is way away from the other chickens..... on my front verandah actually!

Blarneyeggs - I haven't candled any of mine that are under broodys. I figure that I'll let nature take its course and just hope! I don't like the idea of stressing the mumma out or getting pecked! haha! It is warmer over here.... but I'm down south of Aus which is a fair bit cooler than what it is up North. We have still been getting cold days and rain!

So now I have 2 broodys!

I got 2 to hatch out of my incubator. Something must have gone seriously wrong for all the others to fail. Luckily my new bator is on the way! The last chick I had to assist.... and it had curled toes so it is wearing booties now. I wouldn't have assisted it normally but I didn't want the first chick who hatched to get lonely and be by itself!

So now I have 2 broodys!

Yeah Ive got my
fl.gif
that they'll be alright. mine are due to hatch on the 18th of November. Love the booties.

Last edited:
I lost the chick with the booties. It passed away yesterday. I wasn't surprised as it just didn't seem to be doing well. So now I have one lonesome chick!

I was hoping to put my lonesome chick out with the broody who was due to hatch this week... but she quit on me!!!! ARGH! When I found her off the nest last night and checked her eggs it seems like only one of them had been developing at all. Bugger!

So now I only have the one broody left who is due on the 21st!
fl.gif
for broody #2!!!!

I'm not in Australia, actually. I'm in the US, Northeastern US and we've got winter coming our way.

Cluckcluckluke, so sorry! Hope it all works out.

Tina, I have done that before....thinking an egg was done and it wasn't, but now I'm a bit wiser for it. Found an egg pushed out from my broody this time, it was ice cold. I marked it with an orange marker so I can tell if it hatches or not.

AND......we have our first chick!! A day early, go figure. I know it's a bad pic but I didn't want to unsettle her. I'll have better pics soon, and more babies I hope!

I'm trying to get one of my girls to go broody, can some one tell me how to do it. My girls lay their eggs and take of

I'm trying to get one of my girls to go broody, can some one tell me how to do it. My girls lay their eggs and take
You can't force them but if you get some wooden eggs or fake eggs and leave them in the nests that is when I find mine want to sit. Once they are on for a few days then pop real ones under.

Back
Top Bottom