1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Setting first ever duck eggs today and...the temperature!?!?!?!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kikidee, Jun 4, 2011.

1. kikidee

kikidee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    San Clemente
    So I set my 11 cayuga duck eggs into my still air hova bator and it was preheated at a constant 100-101 degrees F and ever since I put the eggs it it wont get up to 100! so frustrating, now im upping the settings. Also looking for hatching buddies, but hopefully mine hatch!!! I wonder what happened.

2. kikidee

May 30, 2011
    San Clemente
    oh also, since i thought it would kick up to 100-101 degrees, i went out to eat, so the eggs have experienced nothing but 95 degree F in the incubator until about 20 mins ago. so they were in 95 degree temperature for around an hour and a half. will they be okay?

3. RedfogsFlock

RedfogsFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2010
    Wittmann, AZ
    sounds to me your good! They should be set at 99.5 degrees, so don't think that will hurt at all [​IMG] It's 99.5 degrees for 28 to 35 days!

4. kikidee

May 30, 2011
    San Clemente
    Quote:Isn't it 99.5 for forced air? Mine is still air so I was told to have it around 100-101

5. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    You're right, it usually is 99.5 for forced air incubators. If you're doing a higher temp in a still air bator make sure you're measuring for it at the top of the eggs. If you're measuring towards the bottom of the eggs the temp will be lower. In my still air, the main thermometer I use in it is set at egg level & it usually reads somewhere around 99.5. When I've measured on top of the eggs it's usually at around 101. Good luck [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by