setting hen

skbclark

Hatching
Mar 23, 2018
I had a hen wanting to set and I wanted to wait until the Farmers Almanac said what dates to set hens. I would not let her stay on the nest so now she is out of the mood and it is time for her to set. Does anyone know how long she will go before getting back in the mode to set?

Welcome to BYC!! It's a great place for info.

It all depends on the hormones of the hen. She could decided to set again in a week or a year, that's what happens when you break a broody.

Hens aren't really known for being convenient, or keeping up with when they "should" be set. Personality and individual broodiness are what times them. Some hens will never brood, others are at it all the time. Just when you want your highest egg production, you'll get a hen that either goes broody or molts. It's the darndest thing.

Thanks, I guess I'll play the wait and see game. The almanac gives me from the 22 to the 28th she's got 5 days to go broody. Here's hoping. If it doesn't happen there's next month maybe? Thanks, again skb

They don't really work on a month by month basis. It's all about light, health, individual penchant for going broody and overall health. That's why those of us who like broodies for replacement chickies or a breeding program cheer out loud when we get one.

Be patient, if she tried once, she will probably try again after getting over her mad. Just be judicious about depending on the almanac, it is all up to the hen. There is nothing you can do to either make her broody or time it. The only choice you have with a broody is whether to let her set or not. If no, then you break them. If yes, then you cheer lol.

Thanks, I guess I'll play the wait and see game. The almanac gives me from the 22 to the 28th she's got 5 days to go broody. Here's hoping. If it doesn't happen there's next month maybe? Thanks, again skb
If you want to set eggs by the Farmer's Almanac, I'd get an incubator. If you want a hen to hatch eggs, go by the hen, not the book. Your hen may or may not go broody again this year, next year, or she may never go broody again. You just never know.

Can you get a turkey broody if she is not laying any eggs, If you can't how do I get her to start laying eggs?
If she's not laying, she's not likely to go broody. They're both regulated by hormones. Well, the laying isn't entirely regulated by hormones. She also needs to be on a good, high quality feed to be sure she's getting the proper nutrition to produce eggs.

It depends on the broody Gods.... but sometime a pile of "eggs" or golf balls in a nest that she uses will flip the switch. Kind of, sort of. Just 5-6 golf balls or fake eggs.

If she does go, (this is the hardest part) WAIT for a couple of days, because sometimes, they will start to set, kind of a practice run, then leave the nest, and then a day later get serious and stick like a tick to the nest. THATS when you want to give her eggs. I get so excited, that I many times have stuck every available egg under her, and then, have her quit, to get serious 2-3 days later, and I don't have many eggs.

Nothing is more fun than a broody hen with chicks, but it is a bit precarious.

MrsK

Back
Top Bottom