Setting pullet eggs?

I am not up to speed on the smaller birds, as my experience is with the large fowl. But, that said, the eggs I get from young pullets are woefully small. It takes about 2 or 3 good months for the eggs to "get up to size". I'd not hatch eggs that were below standard size for the breed. Just my 2 pennies.

I think it depends upon the breed. Our marans were up to full size eggs within two months of the start of laying so I incubated. Our orps, on the other hand, were definitely on the small/average side until they were over a year old. I only set the eggs from older hens on those.
I'd set when the eggs are at full size for the breed.

I didn't do it on purpose, but my Silkies went broody 3wks after they started laying and they slid three of their own eggs in the clutch that I missed. They all hatched, one died of failure to thrive. The eggs looked like a decent size for a Silkie... But then, I don't really know what size they should have been.

I happen to have a batch of silkie eggs so ill compair before trying. Should I crack one to ee if its fertile?

Back
Top Bottom