Setting pullet eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Swissmiss989, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Swissmiss989

Swissmiss989 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    My silkies just started laying. Can you set the eggs our us that a bad idea?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I am not up to speed on the smaller birds, as my experience is with the large fowl. But, that said, the eggs I get from young pullets are woefully small. It takes about 2 or 3 good months for the eggs to "get up to size". I'd not hatch eggs that were below standard size for the breed. Just my 2 pennies.

3. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    I think it depends upon the breed. Our marans were up to full size eggs within two months of the start of laying so I incubated. Our orps, on the other hand, were definitely on the small/average side until they were over a year old. I only set the eggs from older hens on those.
    I'd set when the eggs are at full size for the breed.

4. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    I didn't do it on purpose, but my Silkies went broody 3wks after they started laying and they slid three of their own eggs in the clutch that I missed. They all hatched, one died of failure to thrive. The eggs looked like a decent size for a Silkie... But then, I don't really know what size they should have been.

5. Swissmiss989

Swissmiss989 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    I happen to have a batch of silkie eggs so ill compair before trying. Should I crack one to ee if its fertile?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by