Setting shipped eggs in my incubator step by step

Quote:
Hey, we're neighbors! Kind of......I'm in the Boring, OR area. I recently bought that incubator too, and just received my very first shipped eggs last week. Mine arrived Thursday morning - the day before it got really cold. I also set mine on Friday, so I'd love to be hatching buddies.

My post office was great!! The people there were on the look-out for my 'egg box'.
big_smile.png
I guess that's the benefit of working with a very small town PO. My eggs were shipped from Florida to OR, and I had box in hand in just under 48 hours from when the seller took them to her PO. I was amazed! I'm hoping that these little buggers had a smooth trip and will hatch me some cute chicks.

Quote:
Hey, we're neighbors! Kind of......I'm in the Boring, OR area. I recently bought that incubator too, and just received my very first shipped eggs last week. Mine arrived Thursday morning - the day before it got really cold. I also set mine on Friday, so I'd love to be hatching buddies.

My post office was great!! The people there were on the look-out for my 'egg box'.
big_smile.png
I guess that's the benefit of working with a very small town PO. My eggs were shipped from Florida to OR, and I had box in hand in just under 48 hours from when the seller took them to her PO. I was amazed! I'm hoping that these little buggers had a smooth trip and will hatch me some cute chicks.

Got mine Thursday as well and set Friday AM as well... 18 Marans & 12 Wellies.

That was the crazy part.. it's not a big post office or town. They just were not interested in taking that extra step. I called and asked, they knew ahead of time and said no, they don't call. I have them now that's all that matters and my fingers are crossed that some hatch. The great mystery of incubating
smile.png
There are a few mix volunteers, purebred Brabanters and the Cochin. I'll count the days along with you.

I am finding that the glass thermometer they supply is sort of hard to read through the plastic lid. Got on my specs and a flashlight. It appears to be just under 100. My egg-0-meter has been constant at 99.5 to 99.9 depending upon the angle of the turner. I am not happy with the digital reader from last year that has a wired probe. I am headed to the store for a new one. It's never read above 97.0 which is why I went back to the egg style one and am comparing that to the glass one.

Quote:
Yeah, I find this interesting. Mine does this as well. The temperature fluctuates as it turns in the cradle... Why is this? With forced air shouldn't these incubators remain fairly constant?

I left the thermometer with hygrometer in the incubator but moved it to a more central spot when I added more water the other day. It has very slowly gotten closer to the Egg O Meter (white one) and as of yesterday they have been identical within a point depending upon the time of day. I have been reading the glass thermometer and the two digital ones. I am thinking that the eggs themselves are now storing more heat and that is what brought it up to 100.0 and has not moved today at all. Next task is getting a candle made.

40707_brooder030511_005.jpg

So, Laurie, sounds like the Egg-o-meter is working for you OK? I've thought about getting one. I've got 3 different thermos in my incubator and they are all showing very close readings...within a tenth of a degree. So I guess that's pretty good. And what day are you on? I'm on Day 11 now on the first batch. On Day 8 I candled and removed 3 infertile our of 26. Romeo's doing his job! (My roo) Anyway...I added 17 more eggs that will be 8 days behind the first group. A staggered hatch, I guess. I'm actually using a separate hatcher so that should work OK. Thanks for the pic and info. Martha

Quote:
I bought them here in a BYC auction from forum member wwmicasa1. Her lemon blue Cochin roo is beautiful so crossing my fingers to get some beautiful chicks to add to my two blue Cochin hens.

Quote:
These eggs were set a week ago yesterday (Friday, 25th). I have used the Egg-O-Meter last year in a different incubator and really liked it. You do give up a egg slot but I like how it reads the egg mass heat. I would really like to make a hatcher but will have to give this some thought for "next" time. That way I could keep staggering my hatches too for the Brabanters that don't lay so many eggs as I only have the 3 hens and 1 roo of that breed.

I use a small Led flashlight to candle with. I cup my hand over the top and place an egg over hy hand. Works great.

I candle at day 4, but don't throw out until a few days later.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom