Setting some eggs 5-13-15. Looking for some folks to hatch a long with me.

I'm gearing up to be gone for a week or two soon, so I searched the web for a feeder and water that would hold a lot, I found this and made it and I'm so glad I did. It only took about 5 minutes to get my chickens to learn how to use it and they are fed for a week or two.
I used the street elbow as a follow up poster suggested. It works perfect!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...te-5-gallon-25-feed-bucket-feeder-for-about-3

I've been thinking of making one of those feeders, they look great!.

I just did my day 7 candling. Still have some loose air sacs, but all in all, I'm pleased. 15 look great and seem to be developing well, 9 are iffy and are probably quitters, and 5 had the textbook blood ring so I was comfortable tossing them.

Two more weeks to go!

I'm gearing up to be gone for a week or two soon, so I searched the web for a feeder and water that would hold a lot, I found this and made it and I'm so glad I did. It only took about 5 minutes to get my chickens to learn how to use it and they are fed for a week or two.
I used the street elbow as a follow up poster suggested. It works perfect!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...te-5-gallon-25-feed-bucket-feeder-for-about-3

That is great!

I made one like this, with the chicken trigger! It is fun to watch them hit the trigger for food and I like that it is rodent proof. I think our cats take care of any rodent problems but I don't want to be feeding extra critters because the food is out in the chicken yard.

I've been thinking of making one of those feeders, they look great!.

I just did my day 7 candling. Still have some loose air sacs, but all in all, I'm pleased. 15 look great and seem to be developing well, 9 are iffy and are probably quitters, and 5 had the textbook blood ring so I was comfortable tossing them.

Two more weeks to go!

Sweet!

Collected another 6 eggs for my Saturday setting, another decent day of eggs (14 today). That gives me 30 out of 41.

However, I lost another of my original hens (my firsts, bought as 3 week olds last September). That's 4 of them I have lost now, months apart, no apparent reason. This is the second to die in a nesting box, worse, this one more or less died in my hands. I noticed 2 hens in one nesting box, one with its rear facing out (not a usually position). So I took her out of the nest (at which point the other one jumped out) and gave her a once over. She was alive and moving, and seemed a little lethargic maybe. I've noticed I get eggs sometimes that must be brutal to lay (the day the last one died, I got a 95g egg, which I assumed killed her), and I thought maybe she was trying to pass a massive egg. I put her back in the nest, went outside for a few minutes, and then there was a lot of banging on the nesting wall. When I got back in, she was dead...still in the nest.
barnie.gif

Another hatch lesson, some live, some don't...

I actually waited till day 7 to candle my peafowl eggs... a first for me for eggs that I have purchased ; ) I guess I have just been too busy to fuss with them. Anyhoo, one is totally scrambled but the other has a nice big embryo! Good thing I bought more eggs, right? They should come today but will probably get here tomorrow. I actually got good deals on my eggs, but they still average out at over $10 an egg and I noticed that the previous person who bought the same eggs as me paid over $60 more than me. It all seems a bit ridiculous and so I guess I will try not make a habit of it. I suppose if I do hatch some purple peafowl though, that they would be worth a fair amount of $$. I am crossing my fingers that these eggs make it to me safely! I have two more days before the holiday weekend.

OMG!!! So I had donated two duck eggs to my local elementary school so they could incubate and hatch them. Well they apparently miscalculated and school let out today and the duckies wont hatch til monday! So I brought them home and now I"M on duck watch! It looks like one will definitely make it to term while my second one is a teeny bit on the clear side... :( Daddy is a Pekin and Momma is a Pretty Blue Swedish!

Collected another 6 eggs for my Saturday setting, another decent day of eggs (14 today). That gives me 30 out of 41.

However, I lost another of my original hens (my firsts, bought as 3 week olds last September). That's 4 of them I have lost now, months apart, no apparent reason. This is the second to die in a nesting box, worse, this one more or less died in my hands. I noticed 2 hens in one nesting box, one with its rear facing out (not a usually position). So I took her out of the nest (at which point the other one jumped out) and gave her a once over. She was alive and moving, and seemed a little lethargic maybe. I've noticed I get eggs sometimes that must be brutal to lay (the day the last one died, I got a 95g egg, which I assumed killed her), and I thought maybe she was trying to pass a massive egg. I put her back in the nest, went outside for a few minutes, and then there was a lot of banging on the nesting wall. When I got back in, she was dead...still in the nest.
barnie.gif

Another hatch lesson, some live, some don't...

Sorry about your hens... what kind of hens were they? That is crazy that they lay such giant eggs.

I just lost my favorite little frizzled Serama hen last month. She was my roo's favorite and as more and more hens went broody I guess it was too much for her : ( I especially feel sad because the day before I thought about taking her out of the pen. She seemed healthy and fine but a bit tattered. I just hatched her last egg this last week and it is a little chipmunk chick just like she was and it is a frizzle too, now just hoping it's a pullet! I am surprised I hatched it because it was so small. Now I know the super tiny girls need extra care... lesson learned the hard way.

Sorry about your hens... what kind of hens were they? That is crazy that they lay such giant eggs.

I just lost my favorite little frizzled Serama hen last month. She was my roo's favorite and as more and more hens went broody I guess it was too much for her : ( I especially feel sad because the day before I thought about taking her out of the pen. She seemed healthy and fine but a bit tattered. I just hatched her last egg this last week and it is a little chipmunk chick just like she was and it is a frizzle too, now just hoping it's a pullet! I am surprised I hatched it because it was so small. Now I know the super tiny girls need extra care... lesson learned the hard way.

Sorry about your loss too. Mine are "Frey's Special Dual Purpose", a red sexlink of their own design. Roos make decent meat birds at 16 weeks, layers produce reasonably well (200+ eggs a year). They are supposed to be healthy birds with few of the issues of other hatchery specials.

Morning Everyone, I candled my eggs and I have 7 developing nicely
yesss.gif
2 clear which I discarded and 6 of which I,m unsure about, I,m going to candle again at day 14.Hope everyone is having good results so far

Back
Top Bottom