Setting some eggs 5-13-15. Looking for some folks to hatch a long with me.

Tonight is day 18 though I was having humidity issues about 4 & 7 days ago. Unfortunately I didn't weigh the eggs (this is my second ever hatch) but we do have a small digital scale we'll try to implement next time (were going to do it this time then forget several days in). Humidity currently is about 61-62%.

I had ~50% hatch rate on my first hatch, this is my second. I am by no means an expert...;-] If you have original egg weights, I would recommend weighing tomorrow morning, even tho its supposed to be lockdown. If you haven't had enough weight loss, you can still help them during the lockdown. If you don't have original weights, don't bother weighing them, go with your plan. Did you candle?

Honestly, you sound so much like me...;-] I just watched the numbers on the top of the bator and made sure they held true to the instructions...so see it thro.

Anyone do water candling? I have two of my goose eggs in this incubator run and neither looked viable at first but it has been been 12-13 days now and one is steady getting bigger and filling more of the egg while the other still looks mostly clear and can see the yolk moving around. Neither smell bad so I don't think they would explode if I left them in longer, but I'd like to know if the better looking goose egg is actually alive. I've seen on youtube people water candling to check on dark chicken eggs and such. Do you think this would work on goose eggs as well. The one I am sure isn't good but the other is just so questionable.

Hi Iv,e read somewhere that the float test works for any egg whether it be goose, duck or chicken, make sure the water is deep enough for the egg to float and also make sure it is around 37/38 degrees.if it floats and a small amount of egg is above the water line it is still viable, look for it wobbling and this will verify its alive and kicking, if it floats and a large amount of the egg is above the water line then this means its not viable and if it sinks its no good. Make sure there are no cracks or pips before you do this or your chick will drown. Good luck hope you get the result you want

Hi Iv,e read somewhere that the float test works for any egg whether it be goose, duck or chicken, make sure the water is deep enough for the egg to float and also make sure it is around 37/38 degrees.if it floats and a small amount of egg is above the water line it is still viable, look for it wobbling and this will verify its alive and kicking, if it floats and a large amount of the egg is above the water line then this means its not viable and if it sinks its no good. Make sure there are no cracks or pips before you do this or your chick will drown. Good luck hope you get the result you want
I forgot to say 37/38 degrees celcius not farenheit

I had ~50% hatch rate on my first hatch, this is my second. I am by no means an expert...;-] If you have original egg weights, I would recommend weighing tomorrow morning, even tho its supposed to be lockdown. If you haven't had enough weight loss, you can still help them during the lockdown. If you don't have original weights, don't bother weighing them, go with your plan. Did you candle?

Honestly, you sound so much like me...;-] I just watched the numbers on the top of the bator and made sure they held true to the instructions...so see it thro.
I did candle on day 9 and day 18, chucked the few that weren't fertile or had died previously. The 20/25 eggs left looked dark and full of chick. Most of the time we didn't see much movement, but then again they don't have a lot of room to do so. What air cells we observed didn't look too bad so you're right it'll be one of those "wait and see" moments-- trust in the chicks' ability
fl.gif

Kinda bummed about the Swedish Flower Hen chick that must have died around day 12 or 13. It was viable for sure at day 9.

Hi everyone, I am on day 18 and going into lock down tonight. I will do a candle and then up my humidity and then leave well alone. so fingers crossed I have some chicks by Saturday 6th.

Good luck to all you going into lockdown, remember, those hatched chicks will be just fine in there till day 23-24 without water, food, or your fingers...so keep it locked down!

I just weighed and candled here on my day 10. I have 33 confirmed fertile and growing, 3 I am almost certain are infertile, and 5 questionable. My average weight loss is 6.1%, and the ideal weight loss for day 10 is 6.2%...so fantastic numbers. I have been running the last 3 days at 31% humidity and so I'll keep it there for now.

Well I did the water candling for the one possibly good goose egg, it floated just fine, just air sack above the water, like it should but saw no motion made by "live embryo". Hopefully it is still kicking though. But won't be overly disappointed if it doesn't hatch. I didn't figure either of the goose eggs were any good. Thanks for the info though.

Back
Top Bottom