Setting some eggs 5-13-15. Looking for some folks to hatch a long with me.

Thanks Amy, good to know. All of the pictures I've seen of wry neck had the head down, down and twisted to the side, or twisted over the back. This goofy chick had it's beak straight up to the ceiling.

I'll keep an eye on it and pick up some vitamin E and Selenium tomorrow if he starts doing it again. At least now he can run forward and peck at the food with the others.
I had a chick (about 6 weeks old) who had wry neck on and off. After about 2 weeks it went away on its own without us altering anything. I think sometimes while growing their nerves/tendons have to catch up with their muscles and bones or it could be it got pulled. I could also be full of beans!

Thanks Amy, good to know. All of the pictures I've seen of wry neck had the head down, down and twisted to the side, or twisted over the back. This goofy chick had it's beak straight up to the ceiling.

I'll keep an eye on it and pick up some vitamin E and Selenium tomorrow if he starts doing it again. At least now he can run forward and peck at the food with the others.
Check out the video in this link: http://www.theeggfarm.com/blog/2011/11/02/wry-neck-in-baby-chick-video/ Is that what he was doing??

Amy aren,t you the busy bee with hatching eggs and giving advice ,I don,t know were you get the energy
It doesn't take much when it's something you enjoy.
big_smile.png

2 pips today, one is making good progress. The other? Please tell me if this is what you call malposition? What percentage of chicks piping on the pointy end, make it out?

2 pips today, one is making good progress. The other? Please tell me if this is what you call malposition? What percentage of chicks piping on the pointy end, make it out?
Yup, that's malepositioned. I can't give you a set percentage, but they have a good chance. Many make it out just fine w/no assistance, (usually taking a lot longer than those who pip into the air cell first) some will need assistance to make it out if they are going to survive due to the positioning and not being able to turn, and over exertion from trying.

If I have a pointy end maleposition I flake the egg chip away at the bump and make sure that the mambrane is pierced so they are getting air because there is no air cell there, and then replace it and give it lots of time. The lower down the egg it pips the greater chance of it pipping a vein and causing a bit of bleeding. As long as it's slight, it's not usually compromising, if it's a lot a wet q tip held to the vein bleed usually helps. If and when it comes to assisting, you want to wait until the vascualr system between egg and chick shut down and the veins shrink. If you try to do a full exist with active veining chances of making it bleed out are great.

Back
Top Bottom