Setting tomorrow... have questions

Cavendish Chickens

Songster
9 Years
Apr 24, 2010
Summit County, Ohio
Okay, we set up our new incubator today. Not the hatcher's choice from what I've heard. Little Giant 9200 still air. No turner. I didn't know you had to buy it separate, and only had the money for the incubator. So. The incubator is up and running, trying to stabilize the temperature at 100. We removed one vent plug. No we are trying to decide how we want to lay the eggs in there tomorrow. On the wire screen, or in an egg carton with bottoms cut out. Thing is, two of the eggs are small Mille Fluer eggs. I'm scared they'll fall through. If you use the egg carton method, do you still lay them in there sideways, or just small side down. And if you put them in there small side down, how do you go about turning them if the big end is up instead of the eggs lying on there sides? I think I may just lay them on the wire screen. That way I know what I'm doing. When we have the money, I will have to purchase the egg turner for future hatches.

I do not have a hygrometer. Is there any way to be sure the humidity is okay without one? Should I just keep the moisture rings filled with water all the way at all times to be on safe side? Incubator did not come with hygrometer, and we can't find one anywhere right now. Not sure why.
hmm.png

So, we will be setting tomorrow, so if anyone has any advice, PLEASE post it. Thank you!

Last edited:
Since all an egg turner does is slowly "rock" the eggs back and forth so the embryo doesn't "stick" to the shell's insides, you could do the same by putting a block of wood under one side of the egg carton, then under the other end, every time you get the chance to turn the eggs. I would turn at least 3 times a day. Stop turning them 3 days before the hatch is due. If you are selling the chicks, you may make enough money to buy an incubator with turner (I did!). I turned the old incubator into a brooder. GOOD LUCK!
P.S. Thermometer/Hygrometer gadget combos are around $6 at Walmart. They are the same as the ones sold on eBay for $15.

It is the beginning of the incubation, yes. But the instruction sheet that came with the incubator says you can set the eggs on the wire. I still don't get the whole egg carton thing for incubation. Can someone please give step by step directions? It's really confusing. I've never hatched any egg of any kind that way before. We are not selling the chicks. We are keeping them. And there are only 6 of them. 2 each of 3 different breeds. I have a good feeling that things will go well, and we are also thinking of adding 2 more eggs from another breed.

How long does it usually take to get the temperature exactly where you want it? It seems we just can't get it to 100. First it was too high and got up to 105, then too low, do to 98, now it's too high again.

It actually does take continuous monitoring, and that is why the preset incubators are popular, but just do your best. Even the best of hens isn't perfect, but hatches her eggs anyway. Your hatch will be fine.

Quote:
It takes about 24 hours to get it stablized, and then when you add the eggs it takes about 6 hours to get back up again. For the cartons, just take the top off of an egg carton and put the eggs in pointy end down. The instructions are wrong. You can't just lay them on their sides. I mean you CAN, but it is REALLY not adviseable.

Okay, so pointy (smaller) side down. Then what about the turning? I still don't get that. I prop one side up, and then turn the eggs around, but not over? That way the air sack stays at the top (larger end). So instead of laying them on their sides and turning side X to side O, I would turn them clockwise instead? Am I getting this at all? I do NOT want to screw up. And the Mille Fluer eggs are TINY, and I don't want them to burn up, or something. And I cut the bottoms out so the moisture and air flow can circulate too, right? And then day 18 I lay them down in there on side for hatching? And what about the wire screen? Wouldn't it be too hot for their little baby feet when they hatch at 100 degrees? Or would it be okay? I really don't fully get it all. Thank you to everyone who is helping me figure all of this out! I really want these babies to hatch!

Here are some tips
smile.png
If you are going to use the egg carton, just put a small block of something under one side of the carton to tilt the eggs. Then when you "turn" them, switch the block to the other end of the carton. The eggs will be tilted in the opposite direction. That way you can "turn" them or tilt them all at the same time without handling each egg. That's one of the benefits of hatching in cartons.

Also, anything you add to the bator like water (for humidity) or the eggs will change your temp readings until they slowly warm up. I would use warm water when adding to the humidity trays.

You can hatch in the cartons if the edges are cut down to allow the chicks room to hatch. For the tiny bantam eggs, you would have to cut the cartons way down to just a small cup. At lock down on day 18 you can also cover bottom rack with that rubber shelf liner or papertowels so the chicks have more grip.

Okay. So I wouldn't actually be "turning them"? Just tilting them a different way which does the same job? I'm sure I can find something to use to tilt the egg carton. I have a husband and two kids. lol I'm sure we have plenty of options. Now at lock down, I LOVE the idea of using the rubber shelf liner. I would have NEVER thought of that! And I may just lay the eggs in there out of the carton for hatching. I had also thought of setting the eggs separately in coffee filters inside the incubator so they don't knock each other around too much. What opinion is there of that? Would it be a fire hazard, or a good idea, or whatnot? Thank you all so much for your advice. I REALLY appreciate it, and need it!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom