Setting up a safe broody coop?

Ashrhod710

Chirping
Aug 19, 2020
East Texas
So we had a new shed installed two months ago when our flock outgrew their coop. A week ago we had some bad windstorms and it took it down. Thankfully the chickens were free ranging and not in the coop. ( I don’t know where they took cover, but we didn’t lose any) so anyway, we’ve had to move our 14 chickens back into their old coop ( home built and STURDY) until this summer when we can replace it with a bigger setup again. The problem is that our Ayam hen has decided against our wishes to go broody. Been trying to break her for almost a week and at this point I’m ready to just give in and build her a safe mini coop to brood in because I don’t think she will feel safe enough in a nest box in the coop. ( too many chickens in with her) She keeps trying to brood in a nest box in the run but I don’t want anything to get her at night. So I need some ideas for budget friendly builds or repurposed things to give her a safe warm place to brood outside the main coop, inside the run. We do have raccoons and skunks and cats and coyotes here. And a Fox that live about an acre or two away. Temps here don’t usually go below freezing except maybe a handful of times during winter. ( the past few days have been low 40s at night but tomorrow night it’s supposed to get down to 30 and hover between 25-35 at night for about a week and then go back to low 40s. ).
I was thinking about wrapping our dog crate in hardware cloth, and putting a covered cat litter box in it and then filling that with plenty of wood shavings for softness and insulation. And I could put a raccoon proof latch on the door as well. But I wanted ideas and opinions on if that would work or if there’s a better idea.

Are you able to resurrect the blown over shed possibly??
Don't know your location since few new members include in their profile. Sounds like you are in a similar climate zone as I am. Consider that in 21 days after your hen starts incubation, you will have chicks. Yes,,, peeps do have chicks hatched out in coops in similar weather zones. The major difference is, the chicks are inside a larger coop area. A small box even being secure, and chances of successful chicks growing to maturity,, start to dwindle. When chicks do hatch,, it will be beginning of February, with plenty of cold still around.
I personally would not be too concerned about hurting your chickens feelings, and keep taking away eggs as she tries to brood them. Later in Spring when temps get more pleasant/favorable, let her brood then..
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

Are you able to resurrect the blown over shed possibly??
Don't know your location since few new members include in their profile. Sounds like you are in a similar climate zone as I am. Consider that in 21 days after your hen starts incubation, you will have chicks. Yes,,, peeps do have chicks hatched out in coops in similar weather zones. The major difference is, the chicks are inside a larger coop area. A small box even being secure, and chances of successful chicks growing to maturity,, start to dwindle. When chicks do hatch,, it will be beginning of February, with plenty of cold still around.
I personally would not be too concerned about hurting your chickens feelings, and keep taking away eggs as she tries to brood them. Later in Spring when temps get more pleasant/favorable, let her brood then..
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome
I’m in East Texas area. I didn’t think about my profile lol. But I’ll fill that out soon. 😂 and yes I considered the weather and will keep trying to break her but the last time this happened with a different hen I’d be able to keep her off for a few days then right back to broody she went. She eventually started hiding eggs and acting normal then all of a sudden broody again but with MORE eggs than I thought possible. ( had four hens....FOUR) after two weeks I had only been able to collect about 8 eggs and I thought it was the weather ( beginning of fall) so I didn’t think twice. Next thing I know I go out to collect eggs and she’s BACK in the nest box with 31 eggs.... she didn’t even fit on them all!!!!! So at some point when I was at work, she took the eggs from her hiding spot and moved them to the nest and at that point I gave up. Took half away from her and let her keep the rest. Hence.... I now have 14 chickens.
Unfortunately we already scrapped the shed, we had a huge live oak that was buried in the wooded section we couldn’t get to but it was dead and the storm took it down onto our shed. It snapped the frame and my husband was livid so he just lit it all on fire. Tree along with it. We only live on a couple acres so it was making too much room unusable and it would have taken too long to get the materials and fix it.

I use a prefab coop for my broody. It's next to the main coop and I can shut them in for the first week or so and then let them all into the prefab run during free range time with the rest of the flock so u don't have to integrate later
We have a small prefab that we got on accident ( don’t ask lol) and I turned it into a play structure for them however they turned it into the preferred nest box.... soooo all of them lay in there. If I let my broody stay in there I suppose the other hens may decide to use the other nest boxes.... maybe. Lol. My broody baby is a smaller Ayam hen. Vs the barred rocks I have.
My main concern with that would be that it’s a cheap prefab. Corogated plastic sides, and cheap wire held together by pieces of wood. I suppose I could line the entire outside with hardware cloth to prevent anything from being able to break the plastic and get to her. And line the bottom of the attached run with hardware cloth also. I would assume it would stay as warm as my other idea.... if not a little more. Do you think those would be decent ways to secure it? Or have any better ideas? The whole thing is about the size of a standard bathtub and stands about.... 3-3.5 feet high. Lol so not much at all.

You don't provide any pix, so I have to use my imagination of your chicken setup. Are you able to get something as pictured, (ether make, or buy), and enclose the small coop there.?? This way your broody and resulting chicks would be predator safe. You would also be able to enter and feed, and water, and check up easily.
1610090370214.png

1610090600019.png

Here is another idea.
I know that you would be able to construct a secure enclosure using cattle panels and hardware cloth for le$$. But more labor involved.

You don't provide any pix, so I have to use my imagination of your chicken setup. Are you able to get something as pictured, (ether make, or buy), and enclose the small coop there.?? This way your broody and resulting chicks would be predator safe. You would also be able to enter and feed, and water, and check up easily.
View attachment 2480590
Sorry, picture this coop but all those blue panels are a type of coroplast ( plastic cardboard...)

that’s why I’m concerned about something getting in. As for the fencing part the big coop is attached to a big run that’s about 500 sq feet made of welded wire with netting across the top. So basically a 6 foot tall fenced in yard. The little coop is inside this fencing already.

Attachments

• 99D7FB45-A6EF-403A-B2A4-7BF588CB8E1F.png
    99D7FB45-A6EF-403A-B2A4-7BF588CB8E1F.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom