1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Setting up an electric fence

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mrbstephens, Sep 23, 2013.

1. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm setting up an electric fence to go around all of my animal pens. We have raccoons here and I've seen them numerous times sneaking into the pens and eating the feed (at least it's just the feed!).
    I'm trying to figure out exactly what parts I need to set this up.
    So far, I know I need;

A fence charger. I was looking at this one: http://www.amazon.com/Fi-Shock-SS-7...898675&sr=8-6&keywords=electric+fence+battery

Wire: I'm interested in the polywire

A grounding rod: Does it matter how tall it is?

Wood post insulators: My fence is made of wood, so I want to use these ones.

Can I use a charger like the one I posted above with a battery? Like a car battery? Would I need anything additional for that to work?

I like this type of setup because of how simple it is and because of the low cost.

Am I missing anything else? I think I'd need something for the gates.

TIA!!

2. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
  3. allbirds

allbirds Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2013
    An electric fence is great to have to help detour predators but it's just that, a detour. Feeding predators lead is the permanent solution and works better than anything!
    Protect your chickens!

4. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

I won't hurt an animal, just want to keep them away. I don't want the netting. Can someone tell me if I have all of the necessary parts in my list? Thanks.

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    The charger you linked to will NOT work with a battery, and is really not a good charger at all..
    You should use a "low impedence": PULSING charger to be safe and effective, and run it off grid current.

Specs on that charger:

"Input voltage: 3 VDC, 13 mA. Output Voltage: 800 V +/- 20-Percent "

My WEAKEST chargers put out at least 10 times that much voltage

A decent battery powered charger will cost closer to $200

I'd recommend a Par Mak charger, and get the biggest you can afford.
    No one ever complained about a charger being too strong, especially when using Polywire

http://www.baygard.com/

Ground rods should be at least 6 feet long

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by