"Settling" Shipped Eggs: Necessary? With Auto-Turner?

wow! thanks aveca! well then, that leads me to kinda the same question Chickmashnoon had....except that question was for one day. but my question is if you go longer, say a week, with out turning the eggs, will it hurt local eggs? or should i plan on turning the local eggs?

I'd be happy to let mine sit without the auto-turner on if I was certain it would have no ill effect on my eggs purchased/gathered locally. With what aveca is saying, perhaps letting them sit for one day would not even be worth it. But letting eggs that are not shipped, leaving them without rotating for a week sounds scary!

On another note- do you guys document or keep notes on your hatches and what happens during them? What all do you consider worth logging? i'm only on a second hatch but I want to make sure I write down enough to find out what I need to learn from. I didn't write anything down for my first batch. I think I was so excited to hatch eggs I wasn't even thinking that some of it might be useful info to look back over.

i never write anything down. i probably should've though. i have pretty good hatch rates for local eggs.....not so good for shipped eggs. i just hatched out 20 chicks out of 26 local eggs that made it to lockdown. i haven't hatched shipped eggs for awhile, and i'm getting ready to hatch them soon though. especially silkies....always did poorly with those. i hope others that DO write things down will have some interesting comments.

I wish you the best of luck.I just have finished hatching out 1 little White Silkie out of 34.I am so sick on my stomach.I opened some of them and they had made it all the way and stopped dead.Not breathing,just as pretty as can be.Then some stopped before they ever got started good.Some was just yolk,,,
hit.gif
The little White Silkie is so lonesome.But I try to hold him as much as I can.So I know he will be a pet and spoiled,but that is ok too.The next ones I get will be alive ,and when they get big enough I will hatch some of them or let the Moms hatch them.they are such great Moms.

Wow, Thanks aveca!

I am planning on letting mine get warmed to room temp, then put them in the auto turner and not turn it on for 3 days.....you really think for 7??
ep.gif
Seems like an awful long time!!
I will try to leave them if they look damaged...but I really don't know what a damaged air cell looks like...

I don't know if I'll make it through this process! Very nervewracking!!

I'd be happy to let mine sit without the auto-turner on if I was certain it would have no ill effect on my eggs purchased/gathered locally. With what aveca is saying, perhaps letting them sit for one day would not even be worth it. But letting eggs that are not shipped, leaving them without rotating for a week sounds scary!

On another note- do you guys document or keep notes on your hatches and what happens during them? What all do you consider worth logging? i'm only on a second hatch but I want to make sure I write down enough to find out what I need to learn from. I didn't write anything down for my first batch. I think I was so excited to hatch eggs I wasn't even thinking that some of it might be useful info to look back over.

I started to but then petered off....it seemed so redundant. Then I wished I had when I had bad hatch rates. I am definitely going to do so for these shipped eggs. I'll document time, temp,humidity and position...at least 3 x's a day. I'll also mark the air cells when I candle and I plan to weigh once a week as well.At least 6 of the eggs to see if they are losing enough fluids.

As I said, I'm gonna be a wreck! I want these eggs to hatch so bad!!

I wish you the best of luck.I just have finished hatching out 1 little White Silkie out of 34.I am so sick on my stomach.I opened some of them and they had made it all the way and stopped dead.Not breathing,just as pretty as can be.Then some stopped before they ever got started good.Some was just yolk,,,
hit.gif
The little White Silkie is so lonesome.But I try to hold him as much as I can.So I know he will be a pet and spoiled,but that is ok too.The next ones I get will be alive ,and when they get big enough I will hatch some of them or let the Moms hatch them.they are such great Moms.

That's so sad! Can you get some more chicks locally to give him/her a buddy?

This is turning out to be a great thread... a hatch along of shipped hatching eggs if you will. Hopefully we all have a good plan to hatch out some "at risk" babies....

lol..we did go off topic though... maybe we should rename this thread "how to hatch shipped eggs" or something like that....

This is turning out to be a great thread... a hatch along of shipped hatching eggs if you will. Hopefully we all have a good plan to hatch out some "at risk" babies....

lol..we did go off topic though... maybe we should rename this thread "how to hatch shipped eggs" or something like that....

big_smile.png
Sounds good to me...but I'm not the OP!

At least we can all be nervous wrecks together!!
barnie.gif

So sorry for your hatch! At least you got something (or should I say someone) out of it! It would be worse if you did not have at least one right? You should post a pic! I LOVE white Silkies! I wanna get some this summer!

Just so we know, did you attempt to follow any part of this plan that we have created?

letting the eggs sit 12 to 24 hours
not turning for 7 days and resisting candling (hardest part of the entire plan) early
lowering humidity to 30 to 35 for days 1-18
hatching in an egg carton so they stay upright

hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom