1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

settling time

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rachipetal, Mar 30, 2008.

1. rachipetal

rachipetal Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2008
    Bristol, Uk
    How long does it take hens to start laying again after a move? They are sharing with our other hens, so it's quite a change for them. Can't wait for some eggs!

2. ChickenCop

ChickenCop Chillin' With My Peeps

I got some hens from a friend of mine this past friday and they were laying saturday....I would think at the longest no more than a day or two if they delay on laying for you. Good Luck!

3. Rachel&Martin

Rachel&Martin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2008
    Hi rachiepetal,

I also recently inherited some hens from a family friend. 3 of the girls were laying within a day or two - 1 joined in after a week, and 2 have only just started laying after 2 weeks. The 3 late starters all came via an interim home where they didn't lay at all (not happy with the geese already resident there) - so I think it just took them a while to get over the stress, settle back into the group and get laying.

Hope you get eggs soon,

Rachel

4. rachipetal

Mar 21, 2008
    Bristol, Uk
    Thanks! I think they are starting to feel more at home, they are even getting used to our two cats, and are bossing our original three around a bit less! I keep checking the coop for eggs, our other three are too young to lay, so these will be our first eggs. I will try to be patient and not keep mentioning sunday dinner [​IMG]

5. trishok8

trishok8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2008
    Scituate
    I have a similar situation and I'm so worried.
    I adopted 3 hens on Sunday, 1 brahmas 4years old, and 2 Buff Orpingtons 3 years old.

I'm slowly introducing them to my 8 week old silkies and A-lorps.
    They are in a different section of the coop.

Anyway.....

Monday at 6ish, my Brahma layed 1 egg in the coop but I have still anything since and have not seen anything from the Orpintons and I'm concerned.

I have look in the yard as they free range all day and I cannot find anything.

Is this normal?

Is there anything I can do?

Please let me know...

Last edited: Apr 2, 2008
  6. tvtaber

tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    We got two EEs from a neighbor that had been laying and they took several weeks to start laying again. I can't say exactly how long but it was at least two months. They did not settle in for a month or so, though, so if yours are relaxed already it could be quicker. Hope so!
    Vicki

7. rachipetal

Mar 21, 2008
    Bristol, Uk
    We got our first egg almost two weeks after the girls arrived, small (they're pekin bantams) but perfectly formed. They've contiued laying and are getting on much better with our original birds.

Thanks for putting my mind at rest . trishok8 - hope yours have started laying for you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by