settling time

rachipetal

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 21, 2008
Bristol, Uk
How long does it take hens to start laying again after a move? They are sharing with our other hens, so it's quite a change for them. Can't wait for some eggs!

Hi rachiepetal,

I also recently inherited some hens from a family friend. 3 of the girls were laying within a day or two - 1 joined in after a week, and 2 have only just started laying after 2 weeks. The 3 late starters all came via an interim home where they didn't lay at all (not happy with the geese already resident there) - so I think it just took them a while to get over the stress, settle back into the group and get laying.

Hope you get eggs soon,

Rachel

Thanks! I think they are starting to feel more at home, they are even getting used to our two cats, and are bossing our original three around a bit less! I keep checking the coop for eggs, our other three are too young to lay, so these will be our first eggs. I will try to be patient and not keep mentioning sunday dinner
wink.png

I have a similar situation and I'm so worried.
I adopted 3 hens on Sunday, 1 brahmas 4years old, and 2 Buff Orpingtons 3 years old.

I'm slowly introducing them to my 8 week old silkies and A-lorps.
They are in a different section of the coop.

Anyway.....

Monday at 6ish, my Brahma layed 1 egg in the coop but I have still anything since and have not seen anything from the Orpintons and I'm concerned.

I have look in the yard as they free range all day and I cannot find anything.

Is this normal?

Is there anything I can do?

Please let me know...

Last edited:
We got two EEs from a neighbor that had been laying and they took several weeks to start laying again. I can't say exactly how long but it was at least two months. They did not settle in for a month or so, though, so if yours are relaxed already it could be quicker. Hope so!
Vicki

We got our first egg almost two weeks after the girls arrived, small (they're pekin bantams) but perfectly formed. They've contiued laying and are getting on much better with our original birds.

Thanks for putting my mind at rest . trishok8 - hope yours have started laying for you

Back
Top Bottom