Seven dead hens within 4 hours, not attacked. UPDATE: Teflon Poisoning!

Pics
:welcome @nelson7 :D

Presumably the temp for the Teflon to start gassing is high enough it shouldn't happen in cookware. However, in my experience, that "everything slides off" coating becomes an "everything sticks to it" coating after a few years of use. And you can't fix that so into the dump it goes. We just chucked a pizza pan that used to be grey until the last time we used it. A lot of that coating (teflon? something else?) ended up on the bottom of the pizza. No idea why it did that all of a sudden, it wasn't overheated.

Wow! I'm so sorry for the loss of your chickens. Thank you for sharing your story so others can avoid that same problem. It makes me wonder about the Teflon that we use to cook with...
I have refused to use Teflon cookware for quite a while.

:welcome @nelson7 :D

Presumably the temp for the Teflon to start gassing is high enough it shouldn't happen in cookware. However, in my experience, that "everything slides off" coating becomes an "everything sticks to it" coating after a few years of use. And you can't fix that so into the dump it goes. We just chucked a pizza pan that used to be grey until the last time we used it. A lot of that coating (teflon? something else?) ended up on the bottom of the pizza. No idea why it did that all of a sudden, it wasn't overheated.
DuPont scientists actually found it starts releasing a few toxic particulates at normal cooking temperatures. See link to article in my signature.

@Ruralhideaway , well done. To the OP - I am so sorry for your loss. If there is any solace to be found, it is that a whole bunch of folks have been educated by this incident.
This has nothing to do with this conversation. Although I have learned so much from reading all this. Y'all are just awesome for coming together and learn together like this. But back to my question, and I know I'm missing something here. I've looked and looked. And the answer is probably in my face. But what is OP mean?

This has nothing to do with this conversation. Although I have learned so much from reading all this. Y'all are just awesome for coming together and learn together like this. But back to my question, and I know I'm missing something here. I've looked and looked. And the answer is probably in my face. But what is OP mean?
Original Poster.

Back
Top Bottom