Seven dead hens within 4 hours, not attacked. UPDATE: Teflon Poisoning!

Good evening all - I am jumping in on this thread to share that I too have lost 5 of my 9 remaining girls from the very same thing. I am heartbroken because - I thought I was doing the right thing by keeping them warm during these frigid temps. Like you I am new and learning during this first year of chicken raising. I am so thankful to BYC for providing the information they do. My condolences on your loss.

Good evening all - I am jumping in on this thread to share that I too have lost 5 of my 9 remaining girls from the very same thing. I am heartbroken because - I thought I was doing the right thing by keeping them warm during these frigid temps. Like you I am new and learning during this first year of chicken raising. I am so thankful to BYC for providing the information they do. My condolences on your loss.
I'm so sorry.

@lmdengler No one should blame themselves for this, Teflon toxicity just isn't the common knowledge I think it should be. I've rarely(if ever?) seen references to it in basic resources. Parrot owners likely all know but to the general population that's just what keeps your eggs from sticking. Oh the sad irony.

I thought of it as I've had parrots for many years and am very Teflon aware as a result. I don't oven self clean, I shop things like waffle irons and indoor grills(george foreman on patio only!) very carefully, I use the blow dryer behind closed doors. My few remaining non stick pieces are stored separately, only I get those out for delicate xmas cookies, under 350°.

If I had no more indoor birds I still wouldn't revert, I feel that dupont pulled some real shady stuff to get this poison into every cupboard in the US. Tell your friends and family, this is a product everyone should make an informed choice about. I have no agenda beyond years of reading over and over about the Teflon issues, plus 2 friends who lost their birds after big holiday dinners. Both times there was not their usual cookware used that day.

Try to find peace and move on as Aaron and Alice have. There are more chickens in your future as well!

@lmdengler No one should blame themselves for this, Teflon toxicity just isn't the common knowledge I think it should be. I've rarely(if ever?) seen references to it in basic resources. Parrot owners likely all know but to the general population that's just what keeps your eggs from sticking. Oh the sad irony.

I thought of it as I've had parrots for many years and am very Teflon aware as a result. I don't oven self clean, I shop things like waffle irons and indoor grills(george foreman on patio only!) very carefully, I use the blow dryer behind closed doors. My few remaining non stick pieces are stored separately, only I get those out for delicate xmas cookies, under 350°.

If I had no more indoor birds I still wouldn't revert, I feel that dupont pulled some real shady stuff to get this poison into every cupboard in the US. Tell your friends and family, this is a product everyone should make an informed choice about. I have no agenda beyond years of reading over and over about the Teflon issues, plus 2 friends who lost their birds after big holiday dinners. Both times there was not their usual cookware used that day.

Try to find peace and move on as Aaron and Alice have. There are more chickens in your future as well!
Blow dryer? I am aware of cookware, and now am aware of the heat bulbs. You seem to be aware of many other items using Teflon. I have used my blow dryer on one of my chickens after a big poopcicle episode. Should I be concerned? What else should we be looking for?

I was aware of teflon risk from having caged birds in the house years ago,
never heard of the blowdryer thing tho.
Thinking that a short session with a blowdryer in a open space is not much of a risk?

I actually don't know about the real existence of blow dryer risk. I've read anecdotal reports of people's birds being affected. Sweeping statements that even hair tools could have Teflon. Which is the problem of course with a toxic substance that's not regulated as such, no labelling requirements. My blow dryer isn't new, when it was I watched my parrot, and I now trust it enough to have dried chicks butts with it.

Some curling irons are teflon coated, so maybe that's where you got that from. Never thought of that!
That could be, I mostly only use a blow dryer so I guess didn't consider that. Sad reality, anything that heats up could be. I've also encountered the wisdom that heating these items up a few times can get rid of some of the potential fumes.

Back
Top Bottom