Seven dead hens within 4 hours, not attacked. UPDATE: Teflon Poisoning!

Oooh @AaronandAlice ...wishing for spring. We are having a cold snap in Northern California for the last week with rain to come the next few days.
When is spring in Maine?
I want some more pics! They make me smile. Tell us some stories about the new ladies.
Spring feels like never! We're having a series of nor'easters right now with another and more snow to arrive Tuesday. Spring in Maine usually is officially here May 1st, with it being safe to plant crops by Memorial Day.

I'm starting to wonder if the new girls may have brought mites with them. At first I thought Lane Staley was molting, but he's looking a little red and some of the hens have a few bald patches either on their backs or necks- though the skin isn't red at the moment. Catching Lane is no problem, but the new girls are insane and fly everywhere when I reach a hand toward them. Is permethrin spray my only option? If I treat Lane is there anything else I can spread around the coop to help kill them off? Unfortunately it's been really snowy, but it's stayed fairly dry in their covered run area.

Is permethrin spray my only option?
Permethrin powder is a cold weather option.....

BUT first CHECK!:
Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Permethrin powder is a cold weather option.....

BUT first CHECK!:
Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.
Thank you. I will check tonight- I can never close their door until dark anyway because they like to hang out in the run during daylight hours. :) Just put new batteries in the headlamp too!

I didn’t see and red on the paper towel and waited until 10 pm. Here’s pictures.

Attachments

• 7F4E8F62-EA84-4837-AFE5-ACE7339AB5E1.jpeg
    7F4E8F62-EA84-4837-AFE5-ACE7339AB5E1.jpeg
    297.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 51F1AD2A-5F2B-469F-AF98-6F5169B5E2ED.jpeg
    51F1AD2A-5F2B-469F-AF98-6F5169B5E2ED.jpeg
    370.4 KB · Views: 25

Back
Top Bottom