Seven dead hens within 4 hours, not attacked. UPDATE: Teflon Poisoning!

Pics
I don’t think anyone here could say with any confidence that they’ve had a case of poisoning their hens in the situation you describe and there’s probably hundreds of people on this board who cook eggs in nonstick (Teflon) pans.
okay, I was sweating there. Teflon is the only cookware I have as far as pots and pans go.

You and most of America...(me too).
Most of the situations described are gases coming off of heated Teflon pans (esp new ones), and the gases poisoning exotic birds being kept in close proximity to the kitchen.
But the vast majority of this board now knows, regarding heat bulbs in brooders and coops...be sure the bulbs are not Teflon coated. Aaron and Alices tragedy was a collective tragedy many board members felt in that it could have happened to anyone. We can honor their loss by passing along the knowledge of the danger of these bulbs.

could cooking an egg in something coated in Teflon and then feed it to your birds for protein be deadly? say like, boil or scramble them?
The heat factor is the danger. You never want to get Teflon coated cookware to hot. It isn't what is ingested as much as what is breathed in . The poisonous gas is released when the Teflon gas gets to hot . In light bulbs the Teflon is a shatter resistant coating . So if it says shatter resistant don't use it around animals .In cookware don't burn the pan .:old

I finally got rid of all teflon. I kept stopping at Salvation Army and buying pots and pans. Lots of teflon there, I wonder why?
I've gotten excellent used p&p's including a pressure canner. I don't remember the price, not more than $10. I scored a gorgeous huge copper (on the outside) Revere Ware colander for $3 recently. I've replaced just about everything and then some, for probably less than a total of $30. That includes pyrex pie plates and casseroles. I encourage anyone looking to get rid of teflon (and plastic) to frequent thrift shops and Salvation Army stores.

could cooking an egg in something coated in Teflon and then feed it to your birds for protein be deadly? say like, boil or scramble them?
I don't think so. Birds respiratory systems are much more sensitive than ours and it is the fumes from the teflon that is dangerous but only if you over heat it. I had parrots for years and used teflon pans. I just never turned the heat to high and never had a problem and I had finches all the way up to a Macaw. A teflon coated heat lamp is a different matter entirely and in a confined space unfortunately the original poster found the results.

Well. I feel better. All my chickies are fine amd lively. You’d never know I had just changed the pads out.
D74CD51D-3A6C-42AE-BC90-0FFF315B9E36.jpeg

I was totally shocked to hear thAt they make non-stick lightbulbs UUGGHH!! PFTE is a terrible killer. I went and bought the "Safe" pocelainpnon-stick pans when a guy renting a room from me lost it when I said no-nonstick pans....and I even smell something coming off them. SO I don't allow any of them....if it is killing birds (who absorb up to %95 of what they inhale) and we think it's safe for us (humans absorb %25-35) We are just lying to ourselves!
Teflon fumes in Kitchens cause deadly asthma attacks in humans too. We lost a former Legislator, Wally Priestly, that way. Sorry for all who have lost chickens to this kind of danger! Canary in the Coal Mine kind of warning. I think the companies who make these unsafe products - without adequate warnings - oughtta replace lost flock, pay for Med help, ect.

Back
Top Bottom