Seven Layer Salad

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by BC_Farms, Jun 5, 2010.

1. BC_Farms

BC_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2010
    Enfield & Chaplin CT
    Just made this over Memorial Day and it was very good. My mom had it in one of her old cookbooks.

1 head lettuce
    1/2 c celery- chopped
    1/2 c green pepper- chopped
    1/2c chopped onion
    1 (10 oz) pkg frozen peas (uncooked)
    1 pt Miracle Whip
    2 Tbsp granulated sugar
    4-6 oz sharp grated cheddar cheese
    8 strips crumbled bacon (we cheated and used bacon bits)

Tear lettuce into bite sized pieces and place in a large bowl or 9 x12 inch glass dish. Layer celery, pepper, onion and peas over lettuce in that order.

Combine sugar with Miracle Whip and spread over lettuce mixture as you would a frosting. Top with cheese and bacon.

Do not toss, cover and refrigerate 8 to 12 hours or overnight.

The sugar causes onion to weep and this with the Miracle Whip makes the dressing.

If I had to do anything different from what I did, I would add some more "color" into the salad (it was very green) with some carrots, different lettuces and maybe different peppers. I would also have used orange and white cheeses to add more color too. I was nervous to try it but it was very good! Us and another family were in charge of bringing salads, so we brought this for something a little different instead of another tossed salad. Very easy to make, took about 10 minutes.

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Sounds good!!!!! [​IMG]

3. blueberrylu

blueberrylu Chillin' With My Peeps

I love that stuff!!!

4. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    the one I fix has broccoli, cawlflower bacon bits peas green onion and lettuce in it mix in a pk of hidden valley ranch dressing with the miracle whip and stir together oh man it is sooo goood

5. chocolate m'scovy

chocolate m'scovy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    A similar version of this is my family's favorite salad. But to agree with chickabator, what this salad always needs is broccoli and cauliflower. Something about all those florets absorbing that delicious dressing....MMMMMMMMMMMMM

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  6. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I LOVE this stuff and have not had the recipe until now... Thanks

7. prairiegirl

prairiegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2008
    My recipe for this salad is similar, but it's calls for parmesan cheese mixed with the dressing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by