Seven week old going down hill.

I just sat with the flock and inspected some of the birds and poop. Nothing stands out. I looked sweet pea over compared to the others. Her skin was a little dry and flakey but not red or irritated. No lice or eggs. She might get a powder in a day or so. I have liquid perthirge#*"() yea the right stuff i can't remember without looking. I was going to spray the bottom of the poop board and the poles just because and keep ahead of the curve.
Poop is well formed and normal. No runny, greasy, foamy, bloody, yellow, worms...
I will now go to TSC and get stuff i will use at some point. Medicated powder of lices and mites, Corid powder, electrolytes and vitamins.

electrolytes and vitamin water today. Corid on stand by. I'll spray the poop board and poles and wood after things settle down. A little medicated powder added to the dust bath.
I'm calling the vet to price a fecal and if we have a co op or county agent for dealing with dead birds god forbid. But at lest i will be ready.

She might have been dehydrated.
I think you are on the right path - electrolytes for the day, but you will want to make fresh plain water available as well, since some birds just won't drink "flavored" water.

It never hurts to have Corid on hand in case you need it. Getting a fecal float is a good idea too.

Cocci is caused by 6 or so different strains of the organism. To not have symptoms, chickens have to build up a resistance to that particular strain, which is spread by wild birds. Corid helps knock down the population of cocci while chickens build up their resistance. I would be surprised if a vet had a clue about outbreaks of cocci, seeing as how it's everywhere. Might as well ask about hay fever. :barnie Sounds like you've got a plan and will get this under control quickly. :highfive:

I mixed up saveOchick electrolyte in a gallon of water and filled the water jar. I fed them some ice cold left over spaghetti noodles just after 2 PM. Man, they liked cold noodles. Even sweetpea ate some.
How much did they drink ? About half of what they do in water by dark tonight. Who drank what? I do have two water systems. The five gal bucket with red chicken cups is new and they don't pick/refill the cups much but drain them dry. The quart chick Mason jar gets drained three or four times a day.
Anyway, i got corid liquid and on standby. She looks better and is more active but not back yet. I'll see what's up tomorrow. I'm watching poop. I'll look in on them a few times tonight. Late night poop patrol. I'll keep the electrolytes in the water tomorrow. First sign from poop or another bird gets slow it's nothing but seven days of corid water.
The county farm agent called me back and said she had phone #s and contacts if bad things happen and i need dead birds looked into but she and i both don't see that happening.
Thanks guys. I'm on top of it. I think LOL. I read the thread on mixing and using corid if i need to start. I'll update later .

Corid is safe and would not hurt them even if she doen’t have coccidiosis, but coccidiosis can kill chicks and young birds before they have built up a resisitance to the organism that is in the soil. I would start it without delay.
Yes, and if it's not she needs the electrolytes, vitamins and food as it's been close to 97°-100° for weeks now. Poop looked good. I'm on poop patrol. I'm going out to look at what on the poop board in a minute as well as a few times tonight.
If she is not back to her self by tomorrow I'll DC the electrolytes and mix up corid water. I can't give them both at the same time.

The five gal bucket with red chicken cups is new and they don't pick/refill the cups much but drain them dry. The quart chick Mason jar gets drained three or four times a day.

it's been close to 97°-100° for weeks now.

From the comment(s) above - I would think about putting out larger water stations - if they are not "refilling" the chicken cups and draining them dry, to me it seems they are not getting enough water - especially if you are filling chick quart waterers 3-4 times a day.

Back
Top Bottom