Several breeds, help determining sex

joe123999

Hatching
May 19, 2015
Hello all,

I purchased 8 new chickens a couple of months ago, I believe they are around 14 weeks of age right now. I have a question regarding the sex of several of these chickens, some are obvious to me while others are not. Previously I have only raised RIRs, or Golden Comets so these breeds are completely new to me.

I was sold the following (explained by the seller):

White Leghorns - 3
Ameraucanas - 3
Australorps - 2

I have numbered the chickens across two pictures, like I said, some are obvious (3, 7, and 8 (he's crowing)) but several are not to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I have more than one rooster, I would like to get a few more hens for my flock.

Thanks in advance!

Can you get a better individual shot of 3 and 7? I definitely agree with #8, even if he wasn't crowing he is wearing a big flashing sign that says, "Hi, I'm a cockerel!". Would also like to see 4 & 6 as individuals, specifically their combs.

Thank you Wyandottes7.

I would like to ask you some follow-up questions, if you do not mind.

How could you tell #4 was an EE?
Does that mean #6 is an EE as well? To me they look very similar.
Why do #1 and #3 have such dissimilar combs and wattles even though they are both pullets of the same breed (just curious)? The same question would apply to #5 and #7 too. #1 and #5 have much larger wattles and comb.

Thanks for your help so far!

All your 'Ameraucana' are Easter Eggers. True Ameraucana have muffs, beards, pea combs, slate legs, and only come in a few colors. Also, if you didn't buy them from a breeder with show quality stock, breeding to the standard, they are Easter Eggers.

Thank you Wyandottes7.

Does that mean #6 is an EE as well? To me they look very similar.
Why do #1 and #3 have such dissimilar combs and wattles even though they are both pullets of the same breed (just curious)? The same question would apply to #5 and #7 too. #1 and #5 have much larger wattles and comb.

Same age and breed doesn't mean they will all mature at the same time. 1 looks like she will be laying soon. 3 still needs more time to mature. I'm not entirely convinced that 5 is a pullet. I don't see a picture that clearly shows a lack of male saddle feathers.

Thank you Wyandottes7.

#4 did not fit any recognizable color pattern for Ameraucanas. To be considered an Ameraucana, a bird has to be one of these 7 colors: Black, Blue, Blue Wheaten, Brown Red, Buff, Silver, Wheaten, and White. It must also have a beard, muffs, a pea comb, and slate colored legs (not green).
Does that mean #6 is an EE as well? To me they look very similar. Yes, #6 is also an Easter Egger.
Why do #1 and #3 have such dissimilar combs and wattles even though they are both pullets of the same breed (just curious)? The same question would apply to #5 and #7 too. #1 and #5 have much larger wattles and comb. Different birds mature at different rates. The one with the larger comb and wattles is more mature (and likely, closer to egg laying) than the one with paler comb/wattles. I'm also not convinced that #5 is a pullet, since I couldn't tell for sure from the photo's angle (and it was too far away).

Last edited:
Thank you Junebuggena!

Does your Ameraucana advice also apply to #2? She looks a bit different, seems to fit your Ameraucana description a bit more.

Here is another photo of #5 if it helps.

Back
Top Bottom