Several Broody hens - now what??

R&A-Goros Harem

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 22, 2010
Tunkhannock, Pa.
We started raising chickens last year and our chickens are just now a lil over 1 year old. We purchased them from McMurray Harchery. Our flock consists of 15 hens, mostly 2 each of several different varieties, and 1 Araucana rooster - Goro, he is gorgeous!
smile.png

We have an Egyptian Fayoumis hen that has been broody for 2 weeks now. Her eggs are due to start hatching in a week. Suddenly the other Egyptian hen is broody and setting in the same box with the first one. Is that ok? (they seem to be taking turns now, but are often both in the box together. They do not seem to fight at all)
Another hen (Black Australorps) is now setting broody in the box next to them, (these are 14"x14"x14" egg boxes). She started yesterday.
Originally the first Egyptian hen had 12 eggs under her, but the other hens kept laying in the box with her, she pushes eggs out from under her so we began to remove them - We marked the original and remove the unmarked eggs - is that bad?
Next question - when they hatch, should we remove the chicks, hens, and unhatched eggs to our brooder tractor and help with the heating?
Also, what about chick starter or water, should we set up special provisions for them??
From what we have heard, the mother hen will protect and provide for them, so we are not sure what to do.
We, as you can tell, are lost here at Goros Harem!
PLEASE help with any info on what to do with these girls and their chicks to be! We would love to help them have a great first hatching!

Had a simular problem last fall with 2 cochins and 5 eggs which 3 hatched within 2 days they the other 2 never did after a full week of sitting but my two hens took turns being momma and sitting on the nest and raising the chicks. If one cheaped they both responed (found out hard way when one cheaped in my hand and got pecked by 2 hens) one always on the nest for a warm place to go other out scratching and pickin with the others and they would take turns. I always said they were lucky chicks because they had 2 mommas most only have one....and they were in the coop with all my chickens and all went fine. Husband built a small 18x18 shelter to put chick starter under so hens wont eat the starter on them about 5 inches high this was just on the outside corner of the nest.

Last edited:
Thank you Barefootmom! There are so many topics here! I did try for a few minuts to find one based on my questions, but I do not have a lot of time for the internet! That link is VERY LONG! I read the first 3 pages, and will read more tomorrow. It is interesting to read about all others situations!

My Australorp was sitting on a Golf Ball we had in the nesting boxes! So I replaced it with 5 eggs today, she is still sitting on them. She actually tucked them under as I tried to put them under her! This is very interesting to my ole lady and I! The egyptians are sitting together today and some how the pile of eggs is growing again! When we try to move her, she attacks, so I think we are stuck with her in the box until they hatch, then we will deal with her attack and move her and the rest to the brooder tractor we built last year.

Thanks again, we are hoping all goes well and are anticipating several new chicks in the family!

R&A-Goros Harem :

We started raising chickens last year and our chickens are just now a lil over 1 year old. We purchased them from McMurray Harchery. Our flock consists of 15 hens, mostly 2 each of several different varieties, and 1 Araucana rooster - Goro, he is gorgeous!
smile.png

We have an Egyptian Fayoumis hen that has been broody for 2 weeks now. Her eggs are due to start hatching in a week. Suddenly the other Egyptian hen is broody and setting in the same box with the first one. Is that ok? (they seem to be taking turns now, but are often both in the box together. They do not seem to fight at all)
Another hen (Black Australorps) is now setting broody in the box next to them, (these are 14"x14"x14" egg boxes). She started yesterday.
Originally the first Egyptian hen had 12 eggs under her, but the other hens kept laying in the box with her, she pushes eggs out from under her so we began to remove them - We marked the original and remove the unmarked eggs - is that bad?
Next question - when they hatch, should we remove the chicks, hens, and unhatched eggs to our brooder tractor and help with the heating?
Also, what about chick starter or water, should we set up special provisions for them??
From what we have heard, the mother hen will protect and provide for them, so we are not sure what to do.
We, as you can tell, are lost here at Goros Harem!
PLEASE help with any info on what to do with these girls and their chicks to be! We would love to help them have a great first hatching!

I keep my broodies separate from each other and from the rest of the flock. I use rubbermaid totes on the floor as nest boxes. Sometimes, I have to use a rabbit cage or dog kennel attached to the tote.
You do not need to provide heat. Mama has enough.
Because I separate the broodies, I don't have a problem with provisions or other hens adding eggs. The Mama eats starter food along with the babies. Right now, I have 3 Mamas with chicks and 6 (yes 6) more sitting on eggs. I am running out of room...
Dale-Ann​

R&A-Goros Harem :

Thanks for the reply, what about water?

Use a typical chick waterer; the chicks and hen will use it.

I also separate my broodies with their clutches. My hens got terribly agressive with each other once their chicks hatched.​

Thanks for the replies/posts! We appreciate any responses! The eggs should start hatching today! We may be a lil over anxious, but its very exciting for us being our first batch of hens! The Australorps is confused and continues to move from box to box laying on any thing she can find, Question now is, if I move her to the lil brooder box I built, will she set long enough to still hatch eggs? Don't know what to do with her. The Egyptians are extremely good brooders! They take turns going out to eat, and water, and dust bath. There is always one in the nest, and most the time both are in there together. We are pretty confident about their eggs hatching a few nice chicks!

DAFox, good luck with all those broody hens! I think I would go crazy with that many, too many worries for us first timers!

We got our Chicken tractor/brooder out of storage and are in the process of rubber roofing it to keep it dry. It had a flat when we pulled it out and we found a nail in it. Had to get that fixed. Once the chicks hatch we will put them all in there with the mommas. I may be posting some pics later, got a great one of the two Egyptians in their nest together.

Back
Top Bottom