1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Several Double Yolks Per Week

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Spankykitty, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Spankykitty

Spankykitty New Egg

Mar 26, 2012
    I have a hen who is continually laying double yolks. Several per week. I read it is a 1 in 1000 occurrence. So how is this happening to us? Should I call Guinness? [​IMG]

2. MercedesBender

MercedesBender Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2012
    Oswayo, PA
    Oh, I'm interested in hearing any more knowledgeable responses to this myself. I have one big hen that has consistently laid double-yolkers for over a year now.

3. peepmommy

peepmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    I also have a hen that lays about 1 per week. When something scares them, I find that I have less eggs the next day, but I get a couple of double yolkers the following! We had a thunderstorm 2 nights ago, had 5 eggs yesterday (9 hens) and today had 3 double yolkers+6 regular eggs! :)

4. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    I miss my double yolk eggs!! When my girls were under a year old, we got several double yolks a week. Now, at 18 month old, I never get any.

5. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    I had a cornish rock hen who laid a double yoker 5-6 days a week as well! She was the biggest friendliest hen ever. If they weren't so large and stinky I would be tempted to get more, lol. Enjoy your eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by