Several questions about genetics

Meg09

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 4, 2013
Hi! So I have a few questions about genetics regarding the Yokohama chicken. From what Ive researched and what a few friends of mine who breed chickens for a living Ive found that Yokohamas are quite inbred and arent as hardy of a bird. Oh I should mention I live in the US. Anyways Im concerned because I have read several threads that Yokohamas arent supposed to eat grains because their bodies cant absorb it properly and a certain " mineral" - not quite the right word builds up in their body and causes them premature death. Is this infact true? I realize this is a genetically "weak" bird due to the inability to import more specimans from Japan because many of the hens could not survive the voyage. I also know people have out crossed to try to make the breed genetically stronger. Of course too much out crossing can take away from the breed and make something entirely different; which is not my odea of restoring the breed. Can anyone elaborate on these points? Can anyone who are keepers of the species tell about your experience with your Yokohamas? I would really appreciate it; thank you!

Back
Top Bottom