Several questions

You may find that they become friendlier and more accepting of being touched once they start laying. I try to respect my chickens' wishes and not touch the ones that don't like it unless necessary for their health.
Squatting is what they do to show their readiness to mate. When you massage their back, they give a little shake of their feathers just like they do after mating. I think they equate being touched in that way with mating.

Yes.

I think that without a rooster in the flock they are happier with me acting as their rooster. I can't prove it, but frustrated instinct in animals often results in undesirable displacement behaviors.

My cockerel is 17 weeks so soon he will be able to step up into his natural role.

When you massage their back, they give a little shake of their feathers just like they do after mating.
So it’s important for me to do this to satisfy that need? One of my girls has been crouching anytime I’ve walked near her today. Will that stop if she’s been “massaged?”

So it’s important for me to do this to satisfy that need? One of my girls has been crouching anytime I’ve walked near her today. Will that stop if she’s been “massaged?”

Not everyone wants to do it.

My reasons are that the hens seem to enjoy it and that I have a non-scientific belief that I should cater to their instincts when possible.

Squatting is also a submission behavior -- showing that they accept you as their leader. :)

Not everyone wants to do it.

My reasons are that the hens seem to enjoy it and that I have a non-scientific belief that I should cater to their instincts when possible.

Squatting is also a submission behavior -- showing that they accept you as their leader. :)
I’ll do anything to make them happy and cater to their instincts. The only thing I’m not happy about is when they go broody and having to break them. I know it’s for their own good, but ughhh it’s going to kill my heart to do it.

I’ll do anything to make them happy and cater to their instincts. The only thing I’m not happy about is when they go broody and having to break them. I know it’s for their own good, but ughhh it’s going to kill my heart to do it.
Yes, I find that difficult as well. Maybe your birds won't go broody. There's no guarantee that they will... says the person who had tag team broodies all summer:barnie

How long do you massage them? I just did it to one for like 10 seconds or so and there was no tail wag at the end.

update - 2 of the others did not like it and immediately ran away from me

Last edited:
I agree with all the repliers above. I started this new hobby last July, and you are going to be a fantastic chix keeper. Search this forum for answers before posting. It will save you a lot of time.
My girls just chill when they feel like it. As long as they act normally, eating, drinking, roosting, being noisy and "demanding" treats, and soon, laying for you, nothing to worry about. Let them relax. And you relax too. I've elected for no additional lighting, and we'll see if they still lay this year. Mine began in December-February and have been non-stop, except for my 2 broody frequent fliers, and they're now slowing down for their first fall molt. Have fun! Welcome to the club. :clap :welcome

How long do you massage them? I just did it to one for like 10 seconds or so and there was no tail wag at the end.

update - 2 of the others did not like it and immediately ran away from me

Just a short scratch.

Some of them will shake, some won't. Especially when they're first figuring this hormone stuff out. :)

Yes, that's true, deep litter is a compost pile. I put pretty much all of our food scraps in their compost even if it isn't something they really eat (orange peels) because I know that it will break down with all their digging. I make an exception for things like rhubarb leaves that are not safe for them (as far as I know) or more than a single slice of bread as I don't think that is good to have in great quantities.
I put things like that into a different compost that they don't have access to.
Yesterday I dug out some of the compost my industrious little workers helped create.

View attachment 2836446
That is some awesome looking stuff, amazing!

It's best to give them a rest when winter comes, so no lights. It's a time for them to moult and recover condition for the next breeding season. They wouldn't be rearing mid-winter if we hadn't bred them to be egg-laying machines.

My girls are pets, so I can handle a few months without for the sake of their health. If you want eggs through winter, new pullets are the best way to go. Not all, but most will lay through their first winter. Hybrids will, but they absolutely wreak their bodies laying an egg a day for their first two years and that egg a day cycle will catch up with them eventually.

With broodies, I have one... An air-brooder Silkie. I tried to break her the first time with no luck. Of course, you do not get eggs from a broody hen, but they do get better at self-care when brooding with age.

With a young broody, I'd kick them off the nest at least 2 times a day... 4 if you're around. Take them out if the coop and make sure they have a bite to eat and drink. My girl is a bit of an old hand now and has found a good self-care balance and I don't have to micro manage her anymore and can just let her do her thing. (Fyi, the first hatch was 'the worst' for broody self-care. Don't be afraid to kick them out to eat if you give them eggs. My girl was terrified to leave them at all.)

Back
Top Bottom