Severe Bulge Under Chicken's Vent (Pictures) PLEASE HELP!

I once had a wonderful hen who had a problem with something like this. I'm not sure if it was a hernia or something else, but it was horrible to lose her. She was a great pet and would jump on my lap and sunbathe. We tried softening the bulge with a soak, massages, and lotion and it began to diminish in size, and she started to act better, but suddenly she didn't act right anymore and passed. I'm sorry for everyone else who's chickens have had this problem; it's awful to lose someone you love.
As a comment to Bettyboop7499, I understand your point of view, but I don't think I could ever eat any of my birds, especially not one that I hatched and raised as a part of my family. You just can't eat family.

Oh, I totally understand! My harvesting point was for those who do eat their chickens.

My cat was diagnosed with cancer so I do speak from a place of understanding and empathy. I could keep removing the tumors and let her progress until the cancer killed her by eating away at her brain during which she would be in pain and suffer greatly. I could put her through chemo, radiation and surgery to possibly prolong her life but no garantee and the cancer would eventually enter her bones and organs and brain... I removed the first tumors when the second tumors appeared I choose to euthanize her. Cats hide their pain very well so I couldn't bare the thought of her suffering because I enjoyed having her around and didn't want to let her go. When I read this thread I thought of their suffering...

Hi.. My Rhode island red is so sick. I don't think she is egg bound because she doesn't really lay eggs. She has a big swollen sack in her bum. She is detorating each day. Now she doesn't walk, barely opens her eyes except when I put her in a warm bath. I tried the finger in her vent but I don't know what is normal. It seems like a balloon, no egg I can feel. She is wrapped in a towel in a box. What is it? I don't have a syringe. Just to stab her in that belly is correct? I need a little advice please?

No luck. We inserted the needle and nothing came out in the syringe except a few droplets of blood. I can't figure out why nothing more came out because it sure looks like she's completely full of liquid! Going to try again in the morning.
This same thing happened to my Mom's hen. I put in a needle, nothing came out except a few drops of blood. We let it go and it kept getting bigger, I used very sharp knife and just barely cut the skin. It was her intestines in the bubble! Wr put her down. But we had to do something.

I once had a wonderful hen who had a problem with something like this. I'm not sure if it was a hernia or something else, but it was horrible to lose her. She was a great pet and would jump on my lap and sunbathe. We tried softening the bulge with a soak, massages, and lotion and it began to diminish in size, and she started to act better, but suddenly she didn't act right anymore and passed. I'm sorry for everyone else who's chickens have had this problem; it's awful to lose someone you love.
As a comment to Bettyboop7499, I understand your point of view, but I don't think I could ever eat any of my birds, especially not one that I hatched and raised as a part of my family. You just can't eat family.
I feel the same, I just don't understand how people can eat chicken after they get to know one, can't wrap my head around it 😩

Back
Top Bottom