Severe Calcium deficiency?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by farmerbrowne, Jul 14, 2014.

1. farmerbrowne

farmerbrowne Chillin' With My Peeps

Howdy all
    I picked up a couple more birds the other day and am having troubles with one hen. they both are a year old btw. The one hens first egg we got cracked very easily on her as she laid it. I noticed very weak shell. yesterday her egg had nearly no egg shell. What if there is anything can I do? I give them free choice of oyster shells as well as it in the feed. will the calcium deficiency disappear or is this a bigger issue? should I be looking at culling her to save the flock??? any help will be greatly appreciated! thanks yall

2. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  3. farmerbrowne

thank you, I had only just got them so they were being fed a different feed. None of my birds I have ever had this issue

4. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Oh well with the correct feed she should come good. I would only be leaving ground oyster shell on
    ' free take ' . If you mix it in the feed you may eventually have to deal with the issue of too much calcium.

5. farmerbrowne

lol oh god whats that??? I heard they supposedly excrete any excess, and they could pick around the calcium?

6. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    For hens the calcium level shouldn't exceed 3% and half that for Roos. If you feed a good layer mix and have the crushed oyster shell in a dry place for them to help themselves it should be enough to meet their requirements. Excess calcium and or protein can lead to myriad of health issues including gout. Warning graphic pics.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/232/gout

7. farmerbrowne

Thanks for the great info!! sounds like I do provide adequate calcium and trace minerals. Always concerned about not having enough or having too much. Want to keep my ladies and roos happy and healthy!!

8. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    If you have a mixed flock don't add calcium to their feed. I took on a rooster that had gout and he was crippled with pain for the last 6 months of his life. There are purina feather finisher feeds that have high protein 22% but low calcium 1-7% and they also do a ' flock raiser ' for mixed flocks.

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    When I have a hen laying soft shelled eggs I give her a calcium tablet or calcium gluconate orally every other day until her shells harden up.

-Kathy

10. Fancychooklady

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Great idea! At least that way not everyone is getting the extra calcium.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by