Severe cold winters

Musolff2015

Chirping
Aug 26, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
I have read so many articles and posts regarding cold weather with ducks but have yet to find anything relating to severely cold weather. It would bring me so much comfort to have a cozy heater or some form of a safer heater to allow them to warm up or keep the coop around 20 preferably, at least above 0. I'm just under upper Michigan and just last year we had a couple weeks of temps in the -30 to -50s. On average it's no warmer than 10° from late November/december until march.
I understand the potential dangers with fire or power outage however I am taking my time looking for the safest route and we do have a back up generator so power is not really a concern especially if I were to keep the temp 0-20 which is a fluctuation that could occur naturally from a day to day basis.

My biggest thing is I don't want them just surviving as we all could survive in very low temps but it sure as hell wouldnt be comfortable. Also their feet are subject to frostbite and the past 6ish years I have had to apply mushers secret to my dogs paws in order for her to not get cracked paws from the cold just going in and out to the bathroom for no more than a few minutes a couple times a day.

As far as water goes I have a 3x6 duraslat floor In an enclosed coop and it Ls off into a 4x8 enclosed, wood with vinyl floor covered in hay therefor I will be able to place the heated waterer inside the coop on top of the duraslat and keep it out of the wind without having to worry about a water mess where they nest.

I would love opinions on tried and true heater options in areas where it hurts to breath outside in the winter

i was once worried too, untill it was about -18c or about 0f and i set a bucket of fresh water out for the ducks and they each took a bath in it

it made my spine tingle but they didnt mind one bit

They are very well insulated, aslong as their feathers are healthy

if you have a duck that gets wet feathers then ide worry. i think concentrating on getting the flock into perfect health is easier than installing heaters

i used to fill 1gallon jugs with hot water and put them in the coop. I watched on my camera and they didnt even bother with them

If you feel you want to look into a heater. Research Sweeter heaters. Or similar they are very safe and made for poultry houses.
Just make sure your coop has good ventilation because the moisture from water and their breath needs a way out to prevent frost bite. I use heated buckets also but keep mine outside out of wind. But I don't get the temps you do either.

If you feel you want to look into a heater. Research Sweeter heaters. Or similar they are very safe and made for poultry houses.
Just make sure your coop has good ventilation because the moisture from water and their breath needs a way out to prevent frost bite. I use heated buckets also but keep mine outside out of wind. But I don't get the temps you do either.
Thanks! The section with duraslat floor is raised 8", I do plan to cover the ends of the coop however to prevent wind from blowing up in. The main nest section has exterior wood paneling 4ft up and then hardware cloth the top 4ft so it definitely has the ventilation.

I did look into sweeter heaters as many have suggested however it cost more than I spent to builf my entire coop/run I was looking more into the cozy flat panel heater. Only downfall with that is it wont be large enough for 7 ducks to huddle as my understanding is they need to be within a few inches of it

We are in northern Maine and also have long cold winters. Our duck house is an old ice fishing shack which is insulated and we use no heaters nor do I leave water inside at all. The ducks get out everyday into a straw covered run, with a pool on days over 0 degrees F. and they are in and out of the house all day. This is all 10 ft from cellar door and I change out the drinking water 2-3 times a day when I go down to put wood in the stove so no need for heated bowls. I shovel a lot of snow for these guys to keep an open run but being retired I have the time and we have a set up that make this all much easier

Yep even the sweeter heater they have to be close to feel warmth. But honestly if you make the bedding in the house deep and keep it dry. They really don't need heat they have down on under their feathers. I only bought the sweeter heater because I had an almost 12 year old duck who needed extra warmth over winter. Dry thick bedding and protection for the elements is all they need and of course fresh unfrozen water.

Back
Top Bottom