Severe Cold

Bella333

Chirping
10 Years
May 29, 2012
Hampstead, Maryland
I have read many of the threads related to cold however I am still worried. I have 9 chickens Brahmas, Orpingtons, Aracunas and a Maran. We have had extremely cold weather not the norm for us. Tomorrow is supposed to be -5 with winds chills of 50 mile an hour. I have attached a picture of the type of coop I have. I use straw and shavings on the floor and have heated water. Should I leave them inside the coop for this 36hr extreme cold or open their little door to come out in the run if they choose? I also bought heavy plastic should I wrap the run portion if you suggest letting them out? I usually let them free range but will not be doing this.

Another option is to bring them in the garage? I just don't know what I should do? 1643367877145.png

The cold should not be a problem for the chickens. The actual temperatures of teens Fahrenheit are not that cold for your average chicken. If the wind bothers them, they will go into the coop on their own to avoid the wind. For that matter, if they are used to free ranging it is equally likely they will come out just like they they normally do. That is my two cents. YMMV

Should I leave them inside the coop for this 36hr extreme cold or open their little door to come out in the run if they choose? I also bought heavy plastic should I wrap the run portion if you suggest letting them out?
The run should have been wrapped last November to block the wind. Wrap it (including the part under the coop) and make sure the top 6" or so are left open for ventilation.
If you have a bale of straw, spread that in the run.
If you haven't done so already, add another bag of pine shavings or whatever you use for coop litter to the coop and rake the bedding around so it is nice and fluffy as they like to hunker down in the bedding to keep their feet and legs warm.
If the waterer is inside the coop, remove it to the run, just outside the pop door.
When it is bitter cold, my flock will hunker down in the coop for the majority of the day but if the sun comes out, it warms the run significantly and they will perch/preen out there and dust bathe in the wood chips.

tTomorrow is supposed to be -5 with winds chills of 50 mile an hour.
Wind chill only matters if they are IN the wind. Otherwise, the plain temperature is the one to pay attention to.

Should I leave them inside the coop for this 36hr extreme cold or open their little door to come out in the run if they choose?
I would give them the choice.

I also bought heavy plastic should I wrap the run portion if you suggest letting them out?
Wrapping the run would be fine, but I think they should be fine either way.

I usually let them free range but will not be doing this.
You can keep them penned up, but free ranging chickens usually do just fine with cold and wind: either they choose to stay in their coop anyway, or they hang out in sheltered areas like next to a building or under a bush, or they act completely normal (which would mean they are comfortable with the temperatures.)

Another option is to bring them in the garage?
I would not bring them into the garage. They will probably do best with their usual coop and run, with or without plastic on the run.

Wind chill only matters if they are IN the wind. Otherwise, the plain temperature is the one to pay attention to.

I would give them the choice.

Wrapping the run would be fine, but I think they should be fine either way.

You can keep them penned up, but free ranging chickens usually do just fine with cold and wind: either they choose to stay in their coop anyway, or they hang out in sheltered areas like next to a building or under a bush, or they act completely normal (which would mean they are comfortable with the temperatures.)

I would not bring them into the garage. They will probably do best with their usual coop and run, with or without plastic on the run.

Back
Top Bottom