Severe comb injury

May 13, 2020
SW Ohio
Help!
Just went out to give them a snack and noticed one girls comb is almost ripped off!
It was not like that 1 hour ago.
I separated her! Put Neosporin on and she has calmed down. Doesn't seem to be in pain, just scared/stressed.
Any help!!!
What are her chances?
What can I do???

Attachments

• 20200611_191210.jpg
    20200611_191210.jpg
    921.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 20200611_191216.jpg
    20200611_191216.jpg
    1,006.7 KB · Views: 28
Oh no! Poor thing!
I don’t have experience with that, but I have seen other people talk about it.
The things I’ve heard are:
Separate so the others don’t pick at it;
Keep her calm, dark, and quiet;

I would think it will be fine eventually, since they tend to heal very well.

Hopefully someone else will have some better advice on caring for the wound itself.

Any update? One of my girls got her comb ripped similarly and wondering what to do and how it will heal.

she will be fine...just watch and make sure the others aren't pecking at it...if they are..i would separate her from them until it is healed some..u can put some neosporin on it. They actually dub some chickens where they cut the whole comb off..it bleeds for a little bit...but they are fine within a few hours..and act like nothing even happened the next day.

UPDATE:
It has been about 5 weeks, she is doing marvelous!
Completely healed and reintegrated with her sisters! We kept her separated for about 12 days and put her straight back in the afternoon, let her have dinner and play and everyone went into the coop to sleep. Happy times ever since!

Attachments

• 20200624_093712.jpg
    20200624_093712.jpg
    859.9 KB · Views: 17
That’s great!! I’m so glad she’s doing well!

A few short days after it happened to you, it happened to me. My head hen is a white leghorn who has an enormous comb.
I have no idea what happened, but it was ripped almost completely off.
It was ripped in such a way that her scalp was laid open. A vet stitched it back on, but after almost two weeks, it started lifting. We had to have a full removal.
She looks more like a turkey than a chicken now, but she’s back in action!

That’s great!! I’m so glad she’s doing well!

A few short days after it happened to you, it happened to me. My head hen is a white leghorn who has an enormous comb.
I have no idea what happened, but it was ripped almost completely off.
It was ripped in such a way that her scalp was laid open. A vet stitched it back on, but after almost two weeks, it started lifting. We had to have a full removal.
She looks more like a turkey than a chicken now, but she’s back in action!
Our girl's was almost completely ripped off. We chose to dub it and heal from there. There was no reattaching.
Definitely an experience for me, but I learned a lot and am now braver. LOL
Glad your girl is doing well also!

Back
Top Bottom