Severe Cross Beak

Dec 17, 2023
Alabama
So, this is one of my hatchery EE chicks that is now roughly 4 weeks old, it's cross beak became apparent around 2 weeks of age, which I contacted the hatchery about. It's gotten more and more severe every week. The crossed beak has gotten so severe I moved him/her over with my youngest chicks so that it has the opportunity to eat/drink as much as it'd like. I didn't think it was thriving too well with chicks it's age as they are almost double it's size. Thoughts? Would you give it a chance or go ahead and cull? I thought I was giving it a good go, but I don't want it to go down hill in the long run if it can't thrive with others it's age. It is eating and drinking and doesn't seem to actually have a horrible time doing either surprisingly at its own pace. I've watched it for an hour straight to see its habits and it seems to eat/drink and then go about its merry way.
1000017161.jpg

Yikes, that's a really severe cross beak! Whether you keep this bird really depends on how much time you have to tend to special needs. A cross beak that severe is going to negatively impact quality of life. It's going to be a struggle to get enough calories to maintain body weight, you're almost certainly going to have to tube feed.

Personally I would cull. My very first batch of chicks had a cross beaked EE and we managed her with regular beak trims and deep dishes. When we processed her I was shocked at how thin she was because I thought she had been doing so well. When I found another cross beak I chose to cull.

Yikes, that's a really severe cross beak! Whether you keep this bird really depends on how much time you have to tend to special needs. A cross beak that severe is going to negatively impact quality of life. It's going to be a struggle to get enough calories to maintain body weight, you're almost certainly going to have to tube feed.

Personally I would cull. My very first batch of chicks had a cross beaked EE and we managed her with regular beak trims and deep dishes. When we processed her I was shocked at how thin she was because I thought she had been doing so well. When I found another cross beak I chose to cull.
I had a cross beak YEARS ago that I tube fed and he never did thrive and it wasn't even this severe. I am a SAHM, so I'm home 24/7 and ex vet tech, have the knowledge....Just don't know if it's in the best interest of the bird ya know? How would you suggest going about culling? My granddad used to handle that for me, but he's no longer with us, so I've got suck it up and learn to be a big girl.

Hmm, I'm not sure what the best bet would be for a chick that size. The second chick, the one we culled, was much younger than yours, no more than a week. For that one we used sharp kitchen shears, quick and as painless as we could manage.
Despite being 4 weeks old she's no bigger than a 2 week old chick. Quite small.

How would you suggest going about culling? My granddad used to handle that for me, but he's no longer with us, so I've got suck it up and learn to be a big girl.
Cut off the head, using sharp heavy duty shears. If looking at it will bother you you can put the chick in a paper bag, cut inside the bag and let the head drop, and then dispose of it or bury it from there.

So, this is one of my hatchery EE chicks that is now roughly 4 weeks old, it's cross beak became apparent around 2 weeks of age, which I contacted the hatchery about. It's gotten more and more severe every week. The crossed beak has gotten so severe I moved him/her over with my youngest chicks so that it has the opportunity to eat/drink as much as it'd like. I didn't think it was thriving too well with chicks it's age as they are almost double it's size. Thoughts? Would you give it a chance or go ahead and cull? I thought I was giving it a good go, but I don't want it to go down hill in the long run if it can't thrive with others it's age. It is eating and drinking and doesn't seem to actually have a horrible time doing either surprisingly at its own pace. I've watched it for an hour straight to see its habits and it seems to eat/drink and then go about its merry way.View attachment 3746634
Sorry about your chick.

I would probably cull too, but some do keep and care for these little ones and sometimes they can do o.k. if they get enough to eat and don't have anything else going against them. Often there's another (internal) deformity that presents as they age, but not always.

IF you wish to try to keep her, then you may find that Torpedo feeding can be a quick and easy way to get food into her. Let her eat on her own too, that natural instinct and activity is essential for her overall wellbeing, but getting extra food into her is necessary as well.

Here's some info on Torpedo Feeding, she has a video in the first post, but more details in post#5
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...eeding-what-is-it-and-when-to-use-it.1532744/

Back
Top Bottom