Severe foamy eyes

Shoebox

Songster
Apr 5, 2020
I have a female adult duck whose eyes are both foaming so much that even after I rinse them, they're both completely covered agan within a few minutes to the point that she can't see at all and bumps into things.

I would assume it's because of overmating because the males have suddenly become bullies in the past couple weeks, and she's missing feathers on her neck. But I unfortunately only just noticed after about a week, due to a relative being hospitalized. But I noticed because they started singling her out from the others to bully her.

A different female before with one foamy eye recovered just fine on her own with just some separation and making sure she had her own water to dunk her head. But I'm not sure what to do for this case seeming much worse.

She does shake her head every so often, but she doesn't even seem very interested in trying to rinse or dunk her face to fix it.

Any advice? TIA

Edit to add: I do have some terramycin ointment but she's understandably extremely jumpy right now and I haven't been able to hold her long enough to try that. Would that even work anyway with how much her eyes are foaming? I did manage to get her into a warm bath to try to get her to rinse her eyes but that's all so far.

Last edited:
Great idea on the warm bath and Terramycin. Also, you have removed her from the drakes?

Pictures would be good to have also.
Wrap her in a towel to put the ointment into her eyes. works great for keeping the wings confined and keeping them still.

Back
Top Bottom