severe head damage. please help

wildone

Songster
5 Years
Jan 23, 2018
okey, so i woke up this morning... went to go check on my quail... i did a head count, had all seven... and then i saw that one of my quail hadn't moved. annnd.. of course thats when i saw that she had a massive head wound, and that the feathers on one side of her neck where blood stained. i tried cleaning the blood of her head with a damp warm towel, that didn't seem to help so i used a cotten ball. it dosn't seem to be getting anything of. this is the first time i have ever had quail, and i am really worried about her. thank s in advance for any help you can give.

Im not sure but try to keep him away from the others and keep him immoblized that is what i did with my chickens when that happend.

thank you conman. i just put her in a nice airy cardboard box with some food and water.

she isn't drinking or eating. is that bad? of course it has only been a couple of minutes.

i think she got the injury by boinking, and then it got worse by the others pecking at it.
i just put in a heater pad as well... but there is nice, fresh hay in the bottom as well.

Good i would just keep an eye on her update me more later i have to go hope the quail does good

Isolate her if it's a big wound but she should heal up fine - they are tough little birds. One of the others may have attacked her as they rarely break the skin when boinking (depending on what the ceiling is made of, of course). I've had a group be fine together for quite some time, then the male took to one of the females, messing up her eye quite badly. I removed him and actually left her with the others to recover and none of the others touched her. Her eye will never quite be the same but they now have a much kinder male looking after them.

i was watching the quail, and i realized that it is mainly my a&m that is doing all the pecking. i would say that you are right and she is getting picked on. another one of my roos got a head wound like Sky, and i put them together. i am sitting here watching them, and so far they are making no trouble. the roo seems to be very protective of Sky, and doesn't like me going close to her.

another thing, the hen has dried blood matting up her feathers, and i don't know how to clean it. any info on that matter would be much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom