Severe Mites AND Fowl Pox??

Right, in that thread, the OP didn't see any bugs on the birds themselves, just in their housing. So big difference.

Wow, they are still on her? Have you treated the cage/bedding/area she's in with the Permethrin spray?
For dusting, I put the dust in a sock, then tap the sock onto the feathers, moving them around, this gives me some control over the dust and it comes out fairly fine, then I work the dust down to the skin.

The Nutri-Drench is fine, I would direct dose her at 1cc per 3 pounds of weight once a day.
Oh okay, yeah! That makes sense. I was paranoid about messing up meds haha. Thank you for your help!

They’re definitely better, I’m seeing fewer now. I think she’s just really weak since they’ve taken over. I checked the other birds and they’re not really affected. I did spray down the coop a week ago.

She’s had 10 doses of Tylan now. Still not eating on her own. She is drinking, but I’m not sure how much. She still looks miserable. The lesion in her beak seems to make it really hard to eat/drink.

At what point should we think about the next steps? I want to give her the best chance, but I also don’t want to see her suffer if she’s not going to recover. Should we consider euthanasia if she’s not better?

She did range with the others yesterday and she pecked at the 2nd hen, which is normal behavior for her, so that was kind of reassuring, but she still looks sick and can’t really eat.

You've given 10 days of Tylan? I would stop that, it's meant for 5 days.

If she's not able to eat, then she's not thriving very well. Her age is likely playing a role in her struggle to recover.
Only you can determine when she's had enough and it's time to put her out of her misery.

You've given 10 days of Tylan? I would stop that, it's meant for 5 days.

If she's not able to eat, then she's not thriving very well. Her age is likely playing a role in her struggle to recover.
Only you can determine when she's had enough and it's time to put her out of her misery.
Oh no, sorry, I meant like 10 doses (3/day). Today is day 5, so tonight will be her last dose.

She seems a little better, but the worst thing is that lesion in her beak. She seems interested in food now and pecks at it, but she can't seem to get anything in her beak. She did eat some turkey we gave them yesterday.

Is there anything else we should try for that lesion? Or will it just go away on its own if it's going to?

I'm not sure what the lesion is. You don't mention a bad odor, but it looks like it might be canker (if it smells bad).
If it's Fowl Pox, then there's not a lot you can do since it's a virus.
Since she's not eating, she's going to get weaker. You can try tube feeding her. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/crop-feeding.75454/

Hi everyone, this is Sk8inchick(en) 's mom. She is back at school, and I wanted to give an update on Kitty chicken. She's perkier now, and trying to eat, but just can't seem to get much of the food far enough in her beak to swallow it. I'm feeding her turkey and banana baby food.

The lesion/canker that is on the outside of her beak is drying up and pulling away. I'm hoping this means there is new skin und
20220108_162306.jpg
20220108_162258.jpg
erneath.

Any suggestions/advice? She's going to have the 2nd dose of topical ivermectin on Tuesday.

Attachments

• 20220108_162312.jpg
    20220108_162312.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220108_162320.jpg
    20220108_162320.jpg
    268.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220108_162018.jpg
    20220108_162018.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 3
My mom took some more pictures after the lesion came off today. It looks like there are more lesions in her beak underneath. She’s been trying to eat and drink but just can’t seem to get anything in there. She’s much weaker today, she always roosts on the top roost and my mom said she couldn’t get up there tonight. They’ve been feeding her mashed starter mixed with puréed meat and fruit. Tube feeding really isn’t an option, especially since I can’t be there to help with it.

Is there anything else to do or just watch her and make the call? @Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive ?

Thank you, everyone for all of your help with this.

9FCCC562-B450-429B-9FCB-2219039B84F0.jpeg 29AA06F3-AF56-4437-832D-D96985FE99FB.jpeg

Does the lesion on the beak still have no bad odor? It really looks like canker, but I have occasionally seen some posts here where a similar lesion turned out to be cancer. Canker is usually treated with Aqua Zole (metronidazole) 250 mg orally each day for 5-7 days. Aqua Zole is usually available online here:
https://www.kvsupply.com/item/aqua-...MIk6Wm_c6o9QIV9vLjBx3w5gUlEAQYAiABEgK1DPD_BwE

Since cancer could be a possibility, I would consider putting her down if she cannot eat and seems to be suffering. Tube feeding could be learned by your mother, but that may just prolong suffering.

Does the lesion on the beak still have no bad odor? It really looks like canker, but I have occasionally seen some posts here where a similar lesion turned out to be cancer. Canker is usually treated with Aqua Zole (metronidazole) 250 mg orally each day for 5-7 days. Aqua Zole is usually available online here:
https://www.kvsupply.com/item/aqua-...MIk6Wm_c6o9QIV9vLjBx3w5gUlEAQYAiABEgK1DPD_BwE

Since cancer could be a possibility, I would consider putting her down if she cannot eat and seems to be suffering. Tube feeding could be learned by your mother, but that may just prolong suffering.
It still doesn’t have any odor, but it certainly looks nasty. Maybe she should try treating with the metro? My mom said she was acting more normal yesterday, she came out to forage with the rest and she was trying really hard to eat, but couldn’t. Today she was still trying to eat, but much weaker and couldn’t get on the roost.

They’re getting a fair amount of food in her these last few days, but she’s down to 1.67kg (3.7 lbs) now. She really didn’t want to eat until a week ago. I’ll talk to my mom tomorrow and see if she wants to try metro. I think our vet has prescribed it in the past, so maybe they’d call it in. I don’t want to prolong her suffering, but if that would help, she sure seems like she’s fighting. If she gets weaker, I think they’ll probably have her put down.

I can’t count how many times this bird has almost died and somehow pulled through, but I know she’s very old now and we don’t want to see her suffer. The one good thing is those darn mites are finally gone. Yay ivermectin!

Back
Top Bottom