Severe neck wound

No BluKote for a deep possibly infected wound. That is best for minor wounds. The chlorhexidene is best, as betadine can sometimes be irritating with repeated use. Sounds like you are getting very good at dressings. Keep up the good work.

No BluKote for a deep possibly infected wound. That is best for minor wounds. The chlorhexidene is best, as betadine can sometimes be irritating with repeated use. Sounds like you are getting very good at dressings. Keep up the good work.
Well, I'm a nurse, so putting dressings on humans is something I'm used to doing. But trying to hold an unhappy chicken while cleaning and dressing a wound is quite another thing! Lol

That always helps! I would reverse the hibicens/irrigation order though. Flush it out and then paint with chlorhexidine, which is meant to stay on to continue killing pathogens over time.

I'll always remember patient's baffled look when we give them the hibiclens wipes and tell them no showers for days prior to surgery and to just use the wipes head to toe. They're just like "I'm going to be cleaner with this chemical baby wipes over a good shower?!"

Agree with eggcessive on the bluekote-none of that for deep/large wounds. Peroxide/saline for irrigation only and not to be left on as a antiseptic. The hibiclens is preferable to the betadine.

Here is her back wound this morning:
IMG_20180205_054411.jpg

It looks a bit better I think, so I used more betadine. I'll see how it's looking this afternoon when I get home from work, then switch over to hibiclens again.

Poor thing. Looks raw but I think she is going to pull through.

It looks quite deep with possible organ involvement so I would stay away from the betadine and hibiclens unless you want to paint the wound edges which would help control intrusion.

For inside I would stick with a triple antibiotic ointment spread generously to form a nice barrier while keeping that tissue moist and protected.

If you want to do anymore irrigation or debridement I recommend sticking with warm saline or sterile/clean water only.

I was encouraged today when I got home and found my girl out in the little run scratching around. I'd noticed yesterday she was staying in the coop a lot more and was worried, so seeing her out and about made me happy. But I noticed her poop looking very liquid and green. I'm not sure what it means. Maybe it's from ingesting the antibiotic ointment I put on her wounds? She has access to fresh water and her regular feed. I did feed some egg shell and scrambled egg the day before yesterday, which she'd not had before.
IMG_20180206_134757.jpg

Day 11 update:

Nugget (I figured she's earned a name after surviving all she has, and my hubby has a twisted sense of humor) is getting better, it seems. Her poop has been normal, she's out in the run every day scratching, her wounds are looking better, and she's quite feisty now when I am doing wound care, which is probably the most heartening sign! I'm still using the betadine, as that seemed to work the best on improving her wound, followed by antibiotic ointment, and dressings, which she usually promptly starts picking at. I've cut back to once a day wound care and she still seems to be improving. For now, I'll keep her in isolation until she doesn't need daily wound care, although I can tell she misses being out and about with the other girls.

Back
Top Bottom