Severe Neglect Case! (Photos)

I would post to groups, let as many people know as you can, he needs to be shut down and the last thing he should be doing is hatching more eggs!

Also why would he cut off the back toe? Does he think they grow spurs like roosters? Does he know anything about geese or any birds? This is horrifying.

I did a quick google search and it looks like this is an old practice to do with raising and releasing mallards. Not even going to wrap my head around that, because these are domesticated geese and why not just buy bands to identify them 😡

I did a quick google search and it looks like this is an old practice to do with raising and releasing mallards. Not even going to wrap my head around that, because these are domesticated geese and why not just buy bands to identify them 😡
That was my thought when you said the toes were cut off but there's no reason to do that to domesticated geese... 🤷‍♀️
Really bizarre and cruel.

The postural issue you noted with the female gosling is concerning. Does it seem like a possible "roach" back (like a hump)? Might be genetic, or a result of being raised in improper conditions (nutritional).

I really hope Animal Control takes action on this case, and soon. No animals should suffer this kind of neglect, and the fact that he keeps raising more birds suggests that as long as he can make money on them, he'll keep hatching them. 🤬
I got a one line response from animal control — We’ll investigate this.
So I’ll be following up with them on Monday and then every week until I get an actual answer.

I think her stance is a nutritional thing, she’s so much smaller than the boys and they’ve gotten nippy with her over food so I wouldn’t be surprised if she wasn’t getting as much as them.

Photos are from post bath time dry off, she just seems to sit lower and wider on her legs. And then there’s the discoloration on her feet, not sure that’s normal.

Attachments

• 135859EC-5843-494D-A10A-AC281556C70F.jpeg
    135859EC-5843-494D-A10A-AC281556C70F.jpeg
    465 KB · Views: 9
  • E2FE6B53-B4D0-4BB8-84F4-CE7A4A9D6147.jpeg
    E2FE6B53-B4D0-4BB8-84F4-CE7A4A9D6147.jpeg
    108.6 KB · Views: 9
For their feet I recommend epsom salt bath followed with neosprin or silver sulfide cream and you can cover it with a bandage. I am horrified that he even cut off their toe. I wonder why he did that. I hope hes caught before he does this to other animals. I'm glad you found them and I hope they will all grow up to be healthy.

Do you know if the silver sulfide cream will work if an area still has a scab? I don’t want to add to their stress by picking at their feet, but the epsom salt baths should be good!

Clean conditions can do wonders!

I don't know what kind of bumblefoot treatment you have in mind, but you might just keep them in clean conditions with plenty of food for a few days before you do anything that would be particularly stressful for them.
That’s the plan! I’m thinking a epsom salt baths with the comfrey salve rub down for about a week and then assess. Normally for bumbles I do a epsom soak and then just pick the softened scab off, add silver sulfadiazine ointment and then wrap until a scab forms again. Even that sounds like too much for their little bodies right now.

If it is the same toe on all of them, then it is probably meant as a method of identification (like a legband, but more permanent and with some rather obvious problems.)
Yep it’s the same toe on all of them and it’s a blunt cut, the two week olds have it too, so I’m guessing he used nail clippers and then no further treatment.

I got a one line response from animal control — We’ll investigate this.
So I’ll be following up with them on Monday and then every week until I get an actual answer.

I think her stance is a nutritional thing, she’s so much smaller than the boys and they’ve gotten nippy with her over food so I wouldn’t be surprised if she wasn’t getting as much as them.

Photos are from post bath time dry off, she just seems to sit lower and wider on her legs. And then there’s the discoloration on her feet, not sure that’s normal.
Her legs look stunted for sure, poor thing!

That’s the plan! I’m thinking a epsom salt baths with the comfrey salve rub down for about a week and then assess. Normally for bumbles I do a epsom soak and then just pick the softened scab off, add silver sulfadiazine ointment and then wrap until a scab forms again. Even that sounds like too much for their little bodies right now.
Could this on their feet be ammonia burns? Your doing a great job with all you've done so far. I didn't see B complex added to their regime. I'd get the liquid B complex from TSC it will say injectable but just put it over a tasty treat you may have to give the female hers separate. 1 ml per each gosling daily. That is the best stuff there is for niacin deficiency.

Makes me heartsick to see those poor babies. He must have the parents. Can you imagine their living conditions?
Bless you, for rescuing them.

Do you know if the silver sulfide cream will work if an area still has a scab? I don’t want to add to their stress by picking at their feet, but the epsom salt baths should be good!
You can use it. No problem with that but to be honest I think you should try the epsom salt for now because applying the cream and bandaging might be stressful for the babies as you said, since they have already been through lot of stress. If the epsom salt does not work then you can start using anti-bacterial cream. I hope they heal fast. Keep us updated!!!

Back
Top Bottom