severe possum attack, with large and deep wounds

Very sorry for your loss. She had some significant injuries and wounds. Sometimes they have shaking injuries and internal damage, and they can have penetrating wounds into air sacs. I would always try to save one like this, since many can survive some serious wounds, but not all will.

This chicken got attacked by a possum. Is there anything that can be done besides irrigating the areas and trying to prevent infection? does this look like a hopeless case that would be better to put the poor girl out of her misery? I've seen posts discussing applying antibiotic ointment and bandaging. I'm not sure how to bandage this since it is such a large area, the whole tail and under both wings. I tried flushing with vetericyn spray and then coating with silver honey wound spray. Should I continue with this? or is there any other suggestions? She did drink a little water with nutridrench in it, but hasn't eaten anything since last night. Thanks so much for any help.
Oh I'm so sorry that happened.. My dog attacked my chicken about a month ago, and sadly it was worse than yours, ripped everything off back of her neck all way down shoulder and included 1/2 of her chest. She was wide open like yours. The feed store recommended underwood horse medicine. You spray on and then sprinkle with baking powder, sounds weird,, but it worked like magic.. it has topical antibiotic.. forms a covering over the wound after about 1wk to 10 days.. I used that with oxytetrqcycline shots from an antibiotic they sell at feed store for swine and cattle. Whatever you chose, good luck!

Back
Top Bottom