Severely broken wing. UPDATED with pics

We did have the injured wing wrapped to the body and the other wing was free.
Perhaps in our explanations it was not made clear that the break and open wound are on the underside of the wing. It would be nearly impossible to body wrap that wing and still be able to get to the open wound to clean it.
The way it is now it is as immobile as it can be and still allow Robin access to keep the wound clean and keep an eye out for infection.

ahhh. indeed I did not understand it was on the under side of the wing... ...are you using vet wrap to mobilize the bandaged wing to the body? (easy to take on and off?)
I do not see how it can possibly heal if you are constantly having to move that wing and clean it... all I have read has said that total immobilization is so important for healing. I understand the need for drainage ...dang...difficult.

ETA: ask your vet about how he feels about sugardine application on that wound (sugar and betadine mixed into a thick paste) ... again cut a hole in bandage ... apply sugardine... body wrap (just so the wing cant move) to ensure immobilization (change in five days)... see what your vet thinks of that.

Last edited:
After brain storming with the vet, who does have raptor experience even though she is primarily large animal. We had intended to amputate, after looking at the wing yesterday and realizing the nerves and bloodflow was still good we played around with different ways to splint, trying to keep the bone stabil and as closely lined up as possible. I took cardboard and cut a notch to allow access to the wound. One piece on top of the wing and the notched piece on the bottom. I then cut to long strips and taped them to each end of the cardboard for the top and bottom. The strips went around the wing and held the splint together. I then cut a piece of skewer and wrapped it in gauzem this I used to stick in the side next to the break to support the bone and keep it in place. Then we wrapped the entire thing in vet wrap and covered that in duct tape.
I agree the wing shouldn't move but there is no way to accomplish not moving it at all and still keepingit clean. My hope is that the way I have it splinted the bone is stable enough that Robin can carefully move the wing enough to clean it, yet it still stay stable.
We should have taken pics of each step, but Robin held Dickie, I was coming up with a plan and my hubby acted as my assistant.

Did you get the emails with attachments I sent?
The reason I suggested the sugardine (see emergency forum at my library for sugar and honey as wound healing agents documentation ) is that it has proved useful in just such circumstances... you may not need to "clean"/replace for five days and it will "soak up" the exudate (once it is no longer "gritty" but presents "syrupy" then you will need to carefully remove and replace as that means it has reached its capacity to soak up the exudate from the wound) ... its usefulness has been very well documented in hospital and veterinary situation in necrotizing wounds and abscess etc.

Last edited:
Diana, I remember using sugar mixed with glycerin in diabetic decub. ulcers (didn't for folks whose ulcers were due to paralysis - couldn't feel it). They were just switching to Debrisan (`sugar' in a different application) when I was getting out of med.

Found a vet. specific link (didn't see it on your site - if it is, my apologies). Good stuff, regardless:

http://www.hungarovet.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/wound-management-using-sugar-2002.pdf

Last edited:
I would like very much to thank dlhunicorn and Ivan3 both for all the fabulous reference material. The article on sugar for the disinfection properties in wounds was brilliant and I am going to speak with our consulting vet today about it's possible use in our situation! You guys ROCK!!!!
thumbsup.gif

Well, time go and check on the patient and get my long day started. Thanks again for everything and I will keep everyone posted as usual.

Just a note... the sugar application will not replace the need for systemic antibiotics...

I have attempted to pack the wound with sugar and betadine paste. I can only hope I did this well enough to do some good as it is very hard to tell now where the application should go as the bandages of the splint have shifted a bit and I could not risk attempting to move the splint itself.
th.gif

I have quickly surmised that this is going to get very expensive so I have posted some hatching eggs in hope of maybe paying for some more vet wrap, and gauze pads at least. I can't beileve this is happening! It's like a bad dream.
I spoke with Sara (chillin in muscadine) today and Sadie seems to be hangin in there. YAY!!! I feel a real kindrid spirit sort of bond with her now since we seem to be going through this together. I hope we can be support for one another through this tuff time and both our birds pull through this terrible ordeal!

Back
Top Bottom