Severely damaged duck egg

cinderelly99

In the Brooder
May 27, 2020
Hi all

Going through my first round of hatching and the inevitable happened, I dropped an egg. I dropped the egg on day Day 20. Below is a picture, I sealed with Elmer's but I don't *think* the membrane was damaged, honestly not sure. The duckling was still alive as of last night so I decided to just leave it in and hope. Saturday is lockdown so now I am wondering if we will run into issues with pipping as most of the air cell seems to be compromised. Any suggestions on if/when to intervene. I know it's a long shot we get this one to pull through but wanted to be prepared just in case

Attachments

• IMG_20200527_130943.jpg
    IMG_20200527_130943.jpg
    358.9 KB · Views: 31
Hi all

Going through my first round of hatching and the inevitable happened, I dropped an egg. I dropped the egg on day Day 20. Below is a picture, I sealed with Elmer's but I don't *think* the membrane was damaged, honestly not sure. The duckling was still alive as of last night so I decided to just leave it in and hope. Saturday is lockdown so now I am wondering if we will run into issues with pipping as most of the air cell seems to be compromised. Any suggestions on if/when to intervene. I know it's a long shot we get this one to pull through but wanted to be prepared just in case
I would just treat it as normal and cross your fingers. If it's still alive at lockdown it should be able to hatch on its own. Keep us posted. Also, welcome to BYC!

If it has a bad crack u could use candle wax. Thats what i did and the chick did hatch just a little late and out of the wron end.:ya

I was thinking of doing that but I only had a scented candle at the time and that seemed like a bad idea.... Good to know that yours hatched out the other end, that was my main concern in regards to air cell damage. Just a waiting game now. If he/she makes it that's one special and very lucky duck!! The eggs already made it from CA to NH with all fertilized eggs still growing well 😁

Back
Top Bottom