Severely depressed chicken :(

KiwiSue49

Chirping
Oct 28, 2018
I posted the other day about Lulus friend (only have the two chickens) Tilly having a tumor. I ended up Friday having her put to sleep.
Lulu is not wanting to come out of her coop. Shes pretty much stopped eating, taking a few pinches of food out of my hands. Since Saturday I have gone and got her out and put her places but she just stays there and doesnt move. If she sits in a usual place too long she starts to do that distressed breathing thing that chickens do.
She has just been standing in her coop head down facing the back wall doing absoluately nothing.
Problem is I am not allowed any more chickens. I dont even know if another chicken/flock would help.
Lulu is slightly disabled, Stands on one leg using a toe on her other foot for balance, though should could skip along quite fast when she came running for food.
Back in February when Tilly had had a vet prognosis of egg peritonitis, which we managed to get through, at the time the vet suggested that if I was to rehome Lulu that it be with much younger chickens so that she wouldnt get picked on.
She was an incredibly verbal animal. No she hardly makes any sounds whatsoever.
Tilly was lead chicken, basically telling Lulu what to do and when to pretty much do it, so she is completely lost without her. She was almost a shadow to Tilly, not all the time but most of the time.
Any suggestions would be welcome.
If you know anyone who has young chickens that could adopt her I would be interested. Both Tilly and Lulu, ex battery chickens, stopped laying last December. I got them just under 2 years ago, and I think they were about approximately 9 months old.
I have made contact with Huha and the sanctuary where I got them from but not heard back yet.
I just dont know how safe it is to let a chicken not eat.

Let me give you my opinion, and do not take is as cruel. If they were ex-battery hen rescues, they most-likely were older than 9 months. More like closer to 2 1/2 years old. Now add the 2 years you have had them, and the mention that they quit laying last December. I think maybe Lulu is about to join Tilly. :old :hugs
Battery hens are sexlink chickens, or White Leghorns that do not live long lives. They produce abundance of eggs, and then go to the other side. 4 to 5 years would be average life cycle for these chickens. Heritage breeds will live about 10 years or longer. My longest living pet chicken lived 13 years.
I suggest you comfort Lulu with :love and accept what comes. I don't think rehoming her would be very good, unless you knew someone that would give her same :love as you are.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:hugs

I think @cavemanrich has it about right. After years of raising small animals with short life spans, I have come to accept their end of life. Chickens are flock animals, and your only chicken may be lonely. If you can rehome her so she has a chance to live the remainder of her life with others, I think that would be a good option. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom