Severely injured chick from fox attack, then pecked by flock

3H Homestead

In the Brooder
Jan 23, 2022
I had a fox get to my 7 week old Copper Marans night before last. He got 3, but left one severely injured pullet. I pulled her out of the flock yesterday, sprayed blu kote on her injury, and gave her some electrolyte water. She seemed to be doing alright yesterday. I brought the flock in last night and had them roost with her because unfortunately I'm not currently appropriately setup to quarantine her within the flock, so my hope was that she wouldn't lose her pecking order. This morning, she was looking much better & none of the flock pecked her, so I got a stupid hair up my butt & figured I could put her outside with the rest of the flock. I know, total silliness. So yeh, they pecked the mess out of her wound and she's in worse condition today than yesterday. I cleaned wound with Hibiclens & have been syringing electrolyte/molasses water into her mouth as much as I can. I WILL be keeping the rest of the flock away from her until she hopefully recovers. She's pretty weak and tired today, not hopping up on the perch like she was yesterday. Is there anything I'm missing in care for this injured chick? Any other suggestions on how I can get her through today. 🤞🏻 she makes it! I already lost 1 pullet to the fox! 🙁

I had a fox get to my 7 week old Copper Marans night before last. He got 3, but left one severely injured pullet. I pulled her out of the flock yesterday, sprayed blu kote on her injury, and gave her some electrolyte water. She seemed to be doing alright yesterday. I brought the flock in last night and had them roost with her because unfortunately I'm not currently appropriately setup to quarantine her within the flock, so my hope was that she wouldn't lose her pecking order. This morning, she was looking much better & none of the flock pecked her, so I got a stupid hair up my butt & figured I could put her outside with the rest of the flock. I know, total silliness. So yeh, they pecked the mess out of her wound and she's in worse condition today than yesterday. I cleaned wound with Hibiclens & have been syringing electrolyte/molasses water into her mouth as much as I can. I WILL be keeping the rest of the flock away from her until she hopefully recovers. She's pretty weak and tired today, not hopping up on the perch like she was yesterday. Is there anything I'm missing in care for this injured chick? Any other suggestions on how I can get her through today. 🤞🏻 she makes it! I already lost 1 pullet to the fox! 🙁
Pics??

I apologize. I didn't even think to put pics. And I also apologize about the pictures, it is really challenging to hold her still and get a good pic of the injury.

Attachments

• 20220518_131158.jpg
    20220518_131158.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220518_131410.jpg
    20220518_131410.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220518_131415.jpg
    20220518_131415.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 15
I apologize. I didn't even think to put pics. And I also apologize about the pictures, it is really challenging to hold her still and get a good pic of the injury.
Completely skinned her neck, poor girl. Important part is to keep her in a place thats as sanitary as possible. I'd give her an antibacterial to help keep infection away. A good place to keep her would be like a crate that can easily be kept clean.

Looks like you are using blu kote? That's not the best thing for large wounds, I would switch to an antibiotic ointment like plain neosporin or plain triple antibiotic ointment, or even veterycin spray gel, apply several times a day as needed to keep the wound covered in it. The blu kote also makes it hard to see how the wound tissues really look. Since the wounds are so extensive I would consider a round of oral antibiotics also, or at least have them on hand in case of signs of infection. You can get amoxicillin on line as Fish Mox. Make sure the crop is not damaged, no food or water leaking out when she eats or drinks. Monitor droppings, eating and drinking. I would also crate her, on puppy pads or clean bath towels, to help keep it clean. If she's stressed you can try giving her a mirror so she can see 'another' chick, or sometimes a small stuffed animal may be comforting (nothing that can be picked off of it).

Looks like you are using blu kote? That's not the best thing for large wounds, I would switch to an antibiotic ointment like plain neosporin or plain triple antibiotic ointment, or even veterycin spray gel, apply several times a day as needed to keep the wound covered in it. The blu kote also makes it hard to see how the wound tissues really look. Since the wounds are so extensive I would consider a round of oral antibiotics also, or at least have them on hand in case of signs of infection. You can get amoxicillin on line as Fish Mox. Make sure the crop is not damaged, no food or water leaking out when she eats or drinks. Monitor droppings, eating and drinking. I would also crate her, on puppy pads or clean bath towels, to help keep it clean. If she's stressed you can try giving her a mirror so she can see 'another' chick, or sometimes a small stuffed animal may be comforting (nothing that can be picked off of it).
I quit with the blu kote, I used that yesterday as an initial treatment from a recommendation from another local chicken owner. I used Hibiclens today. Thank you SO much for the mirror suggestion! That was my primary concern, her being stressed about being alone. I have penicillin and oxytetracycline on hand, but no amoxicillin 🙁 She's currently in my brood box inside my house, but I didn't know what to use as bedding, so I currently have her on pine shavings, but I will switch that out right away! I have old towels, so that should work ideally. She's a trooper, for real! After I spent some time with her, cleaned her wound, and gave her some electrolyte water, she seemed to perk up a little bit. She's hanging in there, for now. I've always been hesitant about triple antibiotic ointment, especially on such a large wound, do you think that'll be ok? I don't really want to wrap it because it's in such an awkward place on her neck. I was concerned about a puncture in her crop, but so far, when she drinks the water, it doesn't appear to come out. I can't get her to eat ANYTHING, though. I've tried watered down fermented feed & meal worms so far with no luck. What else could I offer?

You can get Baytril w/o a prescription. You can also use fish mox. Sounds like you are doing absolutely everything that can be done. I hope she starts to feel better soon!
Me, too. I feel like such a fool for leaving her with the flock today. She was doing so good yesterday and even made it through the night! 🙁 Lesson learned. Thanks for the suggestion, looks like I'll be looking for an antibiotic as a backup, but my hope is I can keep it clean and prevent infection. 🤞🏻

Back
Top Bottom