SEVERELY swollen eye ball

Jkaulen0208

In the Brooder
Oct 28, 2020
I just found my chicken like this tonight. There is no discharge from the eye except clear tears. She is acting normal, eating, drinking and getting excited over meal worms still. The swelling appears to be her eye ball itself. The entire mass is very hard. There is a white/ cream colored blotch on the front of her eye ball, it appears to be Inside the lens or cornea. Has anyone ever seen this before? I started her on antibiotics tonight but I just don't think it will work at this point. I don't know if it's cancer or an infection.

Attachments

• 20220819_201504.jpg
    20220819_201504.jpg
    454.7 KB · Views: 14
Ooooh.... That looks bad. I had a chick with a swollen eye. There was an abcess behind it. I'd guess something like that is what's going on here. The chick eventually lost use of that eye. She almost died.

I strongly recommend a vet, if possible. The infection needs to come out, for sure, and she'll need antibiotics, probably orally and directly in the eye.

Can you open her eye? Or see anything in it?

Ooooh.... That looks bad. I had a chick with a swollen eye. There was an abcess behind it. I'd guess something like that is what's going on here. The chick eventually lost use of that eye. She almost died.

I strongly recommend a vet, if possible. The infection needs to come out, for sure, and she'll need antibiotics, probably orally and directly in the eye.

Can you open her eye? Or see anything in it?
You can open the eyelid. The eyelid itself is not swollen. Just the eye.

Attachments

• 20220819_212356.jpg
    20220819_212356.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 4
I found a listing for a veterinary ophthalmologist a couple hours away. I'm going to call them Monday. I don't know how long it will take to get an appointment.

Back
Top Bottom