sex and breed

She was born on March 3rd same as me different year but you know.
I thought you could tell by the comb 1 comb roo flat 3comb hen
but what do I know

Okay, so it's a little over 8 weeks old??? Then I would have to say EE roo. I say this because of the comb development as well as the fact that the red is getting deeper/darker over the shoulders and it looks like it might be developing pointy hackle and saddle feathers.

That is what I was afraid of he is not crowing yet I hatched some marans at the same time and one of those roosters
is crowing. I see the two of them facing off with hackles raised until one of them walks away. I guess I will have to wait and see
what developes
thanks again going on 11 weeks old

Last edited:
I would say EE roo too. By this age he would be starting to crow. Our EE started crowing two weeks earlier than our Barnie roo so each bird is on their own schedule. Even pullets will raise their hackles and do the head bob, but I do see the roos bobbing for longer vs. each other.

We were told of all the breeds, hatchery sexers tend to get the EE's wrong twice as much as other breeds. It also seems that both EE roos and pullets will have overlapping characteristics (saddles & hackle feathers don't look male or female). I wonder if the mix of breeds that comprise all these EE's has to do with the difficulty in determining their gender?

Back
Top Bottom