Sex and gender of my 2 bantams--Welsummer girl? EE but not sure of gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by teamfluffybutt, Sep 22, 2013.

1. teamfluffybutt

teamfluffybutt Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2013
    Central Arkansas
    We're new to chickens and have 2 little 12 1/2 weeks bantams that we hatched out from an assortment of McMurray's bantam eggs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]I was thinking this was a Welsummer girl (Welsummer was one of the possibilities listed in the egg collection). The white stuff on her is the yogurt they had for their morning treat lol. She? was chipmunk striped when hatched but I don't have any good pictures.

And I thought this one is an EE but I'm not sure about gender even after reading a lot on BYC. He/she was dark when hatched and I don't remember any clear markings, but again I have no decent pictures at that age.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Appreciate any thoughts people might have!

2. TheJadeChicken

TheJadeChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

I was think B.B. Red Old English Game and EE. Looks like both hens to me. But I am not sure on EEs. :/

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Both birds are pullets. Your "Welsummer" appears to actually be a Black Breasted Red Old English Game bantam. As for your second bird, my first guess would be a Quail Belgian Bearded D'anvers. However, she has a single or a pea comb, whereas D'anvers have rose combs, and I'll have to say that she is more likely and Easter Egger. It is still possible that she is a D'anvers, but has a single comb (single comb birds ocur every so often from rose combed birds). Pretty birds!

4. teamfluffybutt

teamfluffybutt Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2013
    Central Arkansas
    Thanks for the help!

TheJadeChicken, we are in central AR :)

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Both pullets. [​IMG] Your "Welsummer" is, IMO, a Black Breasted Red Old English Game Bantam. Your other bird is either a hatchery-quality (these often have single-combs) Belgian Bearded D'Anvers or an adorable Easter Egger.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I can tell you they're both females. After that, I'm pretty bad at bantam breeds so I'll bow to the experts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by